Author Topic: Cane shaft straightening  (Read 4210 times)

Offline sleek

Cane shaft straightening
« on: October 05, 2019, 05:43:46 pm »
I'm using a heat gun to straighten tomato stakes and I'm struggling to get them exact. I can get all the nodes to align down an imaginary straight line,  from nock to base, but the inner nodes have a gentle wave to them that I cant get straight without spending hours on each one. How straight and perfectly aligned do the inner nodes have to be?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline DC

Re: Cane shaft straightening
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2019, 07:07:52 pm »
I do the "inbetween the nodes" first. I think that helps. I try to get them as straight as I can but that's just me. I heat my barbeque up to 400 and stick the shafts in the rotisserie hole. Heat the whole arrow for about 30 sec or so and then do the initial straightening.  Wear gloves. ;D After that it's just a few minor bends to get out. I know that an arrow can have a few whoops and still fly straight but they can also have a little wiggle and fly like crap. It just depends on the dynamic balance I guess and I have no idea how you can foresee if it's going to fly.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2019, 07:44:27 pm »
I do it the opposite way from DC's method.  Using a propane torch for heat, I straighten the nodes first since they seem to be the hardest to play with.  Then I sand them to acceptable smoothness then straighten in between the nodes.  After all that then go through the entire shaft again.  Seems to take at least 3 sessions to get them right.  Have used purchased tomato stakes for years to make hunting arrows successfully.  Hope that helps.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:54:36 pm »
+1 with sammy. The nodes seem to be the ones in need of the most correction. Takes about 3 broken shafts for me as it takes him three sessions.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 06:44:48 am »
Never used a heat gun to straighten bamboo or cane, only a propane torch. Node areas require more of a spot heating which a torch easily provides. Like Jimmi, I'll hit the nodes with sandpaper before straightening, then a rough straightening of the nodes as needed, and then proceed to straighten the inner nodes. Then back to the nodes again. Repeat as needed.

To make the straightening process easier, and I'll not seen this mentioned before, there are only two planes to straighten on cane, bamboo, dowelled shafts and some hardwood shoots. For cane and boo, you need only to straighten the leaf scar side, and then rotate the shaft 1/4 turn and straighten it's side. So you only have to two sides to straighten here, instead of having to constantly rotating the shaft to locate it's crooks.

I made up a hardwood grooved straightening block to help with the process. Here's a pic...…...Art

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2019, 12:52:19 pm »
You are far better off straightening the mid sections first.
Then do the nodes.
I can get them perfect in one go with this method. Maybe a slight bend will still be left but almost nothing.
Fit points temporarily when almost perfect. Spin them in the palm of your hand to see if they are perfect. With enough practise you can feel where and in what manner they are off straight.
I've done a few :) thousand....

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 06:09:50 pm »
Start with the between the nodes first and dont backwards...Kevin get with me at Marshall or Mo Jam next year and I'll show you what I'm talking about.
It's hard for me to explain in print.  Can show ypu...
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 06:17:52 pm »
The cane can can be wavy between nodes but the issue is that you need the same wavy between end to end (imaginary center line )to balance out the spin of the shaft.
I have made very crooked arrows that shoot very good that was balanced between the ends of the shaft.
I hope I'm making since.
DBar

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 06:21:57 pm »
You are far better off straightening the mid sections first.
Then do the nodes.
I can get them perfect in one go with this method. Maybe a slight bend will still be left but almost nothing.
Fit points temporarily when almost perfect. Spin them in the palm of your hand to see if they are perfect. With enough practise you can feel where and in what manner they are off straight.
I've done a few :) thousand....
What part of the country do you live...would like to compare notes...there's a 100 ways to skin a cat.  I Can always learn a better way. :) ;)

gutpile

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:44:31 am »
i use a heat gun too.. best way IMO.. I get the major bends out first.. no matter where.. then start at one end and go to other.. they dont have to be perfect.. as long as both ends line up straight... but mine usually end up as straight as store bought haha... gut

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 11:12:50 am »
Danzn Bar,
That would make a good presentation topic for MoJam, or at least, be a good training/bull session.  I'd like to sit in on that topic - this ol' dog can still learn new tricks!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 01:24:27 pm »
Jerry
I'll make sure I bring my arrow stuff to MoJam.
DBar

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 11:45:44 pm »
I'm looking forward to it!  Hope to do a bit of experimenting if there is any down time during deer season.  Supposed to get a bit of weather Sunday, so it might be a stay in camp day!
Jerry
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline willie

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2019, 04:01:28 pm »
so when spot heating the place to be straightened, does one then bend the shaft to compress the heated spot? or heat the outside of the bend?

Offline artcher1

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2019, 05:19:13 pm »
Heat the whole area to be straightened Willie. Then compress the high side with the back of your hand or lay the shaft flat with it's high side up and slightly apply pressure upwards while rubbing or rolling down the high spot...…..Art