Author Topic: Construction site osage  (Read 3979 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Construction site osage
« on: July 13, 2019, 12:30:02 pm »
I do not like to cut osage in the summer.  However, when I noticed a pile of logs at a road construction site and saw a few osage mixed in I couldn't resist.  I would have hated to see them cut into firewood.  After getting permission from the work crew I grabbed my chainsaw and wrestled a few decent ones out of the pile.  There's a little damage from their equipment but nothing too bad.  Two of the logs were a pain to split.  They reminded me of splitting elm.  One of them has snakey grain and should make some cool character bows.  They all have good rings.  I busted them into quarters and brought them in my garage.  I'll split them into staves and remove the bark and sapwood as I get the time.  I have some bows that I want to build and these staves should work out great for them.  Maybe next year I'll make a new elk hunting bow out of one of them.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: Construction site osage
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2019, 12:55:54 pm »
wow niced find, congrats on that )W(

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:18:13 pm »
Wow Clint....you sure do have an eye for osage. Good for you. A little hard work and you're rewarded with some nice staves.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:21:11 pm »
Wow Clint....you sure do have an eye for osage. Good for you. A little hard work and you're rewarded with some nice staves.

It was a lot of hard work Steve.  They were easy to load but a pain to split.  2 of them split like elm logs. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 01:59:19 pm »
Nice haul, Clint.  :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 03:21:43 pm »

It was a lot of hard work Steve.  They were easy to load but a pain to split.  2 of them split like elm logs.

Seems like something your not afraid of Clint is work. Nice save. I like the looks of that snaky one a lot.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 04:00:38 pm »
    Nice growth rings for sure...Your a tough guy to tackle that in the Summer
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 06:30:12 pm »
Nice!  Those should make some nice bows!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 07:32:33 pm »
great save... I only hear about things like this... but never see it around here.  That snake stave is sweet.
 :OK
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline bassman

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 10:05:18 pm »
Nice find. When you find Osage like that it is like hitting the lottery. Good for you.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2019, 05:31:33 am »
Nice nice nice.  I love that snakey bad boy.  That one gets my Bodark juices runnin'.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2019, 05:33:58 am »
Almost all my osage stash came from land clearing operations, many of my logs were pulled out of a brush pile after getting permission first.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2019, 06:36:42 am »
It a a treasure,,,bit u earn it (f)

Offline gifford

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2019, 08:25:16 am »
Well done, saving osage from firewood is a noble purpose indeed, you are to be commended. How many of those snakey staves are you planning to bring to MoJAM?

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2019, 08:42:53 am »
Well done, saving osage from firewood is a noble purpose indeed, you are to be commended. How many of those snakey staves are you planning to bring to MoJAM?

I won't be making it to Mojam this year.  Too many other trips got in the way.  These staves are staying in my workshop.