Author Topic: Design question - sinew backed Osage thats pretty narrow  (Read 4653 times)

Offline Sidmand

Design question - sinew backed Osage thats pretty narrow
« on: July 15, 2019, 08:51:02 am »
Quick question - I am chasing a ring on a great Osage stave that I have and I want to back it with sinew and make it fairly short.  But, I'm not sure exactly what I can pull off regarding how short with the width.  Stave is probably going to be around 1 inch wide, certainly no more than 1.5 inches, probably averaging about 1.25 when it's all said and done.  I'd like to keep it around 55 inches or so, would like to be in the 50 to 55 pound range at 27" draw.  I think I have enough sinew for at least 2 courses, and I do want to flip the tips a little, but it will be a bendy handle bow with either leather or cork to build up a bit of a grip.

Do y'all think that 55 inches or shorter would be OK with this stave, and could I potentially go a few inches shorter (certainly no shorter than 50", I have a supermag if I want to shoot something that short).

For reference, that channel in my bow bench is meant to hold a 2x4, and the stave fits in there with maybe an 8th or so of clearance.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Badger

Re: Design question - sinew backed Osage thats pretty narrow
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 08:55:52 am »
  Short bows just will never shoot as well as longer bows. If you need a short bow I would go as long as short bow possible. With a bendy handle your dimensions should be no problem.

Offline bassman

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 09:44:15 am »
How long is that stave? I have made many short bows from 20 to 50 lbs., and from 38 inches to 56 inches, because that is all the stave would give me in length.They shoot OK for me at 15 yds. and in, and are fun to shoot. I would use every inch I could get out of that stave.If it is thick enough you could make a short bow from the split, chase a ring, and sinew back it. JMHO>

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 10:21:12 am »
You can easily get a 55# bow from a 1" stave but it should be longer than 55" for a 27". 1.25" would be better. 62" to 64" should be plenty long enough. No need for the sinew unless you specifically want a sinew backed bow and if you live in a humid area a selfbow would be less affected by the humidity than a sinew backed bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 11:08:17 am »
I agree you should  be able to get what you want,,,, with that design in mind
one of my favorite hunting bows I made 20 years ago was little more than inch wide,,52 inches ,,,65# at 25,,sinew backed,,
it really shot great,,you will enjoy it,, :)

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 11:22:56 am »
y'all are making me think - let me run my thoughts by you and I'd appreciate some feedback, as in "what would you do" given my situation.  My desire is a good, hunting weight bendy handle bow.  But the bow I see in my head has recurves that are blackend/fumed/vinagrooned and antler overlays, and has a sinew backing with snake skins.

HUMIDITY:  I live in Alabama, and it's humid, but it's not to bad in Fall/Winter when this bow will get used most.  This is my hunting bow for the forseeable future.  I do just want a sinew backed bow, I don't know why - it's an itch I need to scratch even since I made one for a bow trade on here and just really liked it.  I do have a selfbow already from the sister stave of this particular one and it shoots real nice, so at least I have a fallback.

LENGTH:  The stave is about 64" or so I think, will measure it later.  The only real reason I wanted it a bit shorter was based on where I hunt - it's thickish, and I either stalk slowly through said thickness OR I hunt in a brush blind (scared of heights, I don't hunt from tree stands).  Shorter bows are a little easier to maneuver through my hunting grounds is all, but I'm open to suggestion.

So, what would y'all do here - keeping in mind the real minimum is 55ish pounds of hunting bow for thick woods?  I know that the draw weight isn't the key there as far as will it do the job, it's on me for that, but I am very comfortable with that weight and it feels good to me.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 11:39:56 am »
I am not a sinew expert but a 64" stave for a 27" draw is pretty good. Sinew for that length will probably slow the bow down. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 11:40:56 am »
 For most people I know accuracy really starts dropping below about 60". I guess if you practice enough you could overcome that.

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:39 pm »
You know what you want. In the end it will be your call.60 inches would be a good compromise for ease of handling ,and accuracy.Sinew backed with snake skin and with flipped tips should make you a good bow for your needs.Other opinions may vary.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 12:32:54 pm »
       To answer your question, 55" sinew backed will be fine...Your stave also looks very clean...How many layers of sinew? Just for protection or are you looking for performance? I will send you a PM with a link to an unbacked 55" it was 1 1/8" wide...
                                                                                                                                                                              Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 12:50:14 pm »
       To answer your question, 55" sinew backed will be fine...Your stave also looks very clean...How many layers of sinew? Just for protection or are you looking for performance? I will send you a PM with a link to an unbacked 55" it was 1 1/8" wide...
                                                                                                                                                                              Don

I think I have enough sinew for at least 2 layers, probably 3.  I'm looking for performance over protection, but I'd like both ;).  I'm thinking if I run the sinew up the limb to just below the hooks, like right up to the non-working area, I'll have a little more sinew and a little less weight out there where it won't do anything.  But, that's just a thought.

The stave is real clean, just a few pin knots in a couple clusters, but nothing to close to the side or anything so far.  Still have about 18 inches or so of stave to chase down, then I will try to do a build along and get feedback so I don't screw it up.  I haven't made a bow in about 2 years now, so I'm feeling some rust.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 01:04:15 pm »
yes it did take a bit of practice ,, but the thing for me is,, on the shorter bows, I am hunting at average 15 yards,, and with practice the shorter well made bow can be quite accurate at that range for me,, now if you want me to shoot a 3d shoot,, or clout shoot at 100 plus yards, I am gonna go with a longer bow for that type of shooting,,
I really enjoy shooting the shorter bows. so that probably helps me practice enough to hit something,,

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2019, 01:56:48 pm »
It took me a long time also to get good with short recurves but I finally did with lots of thoughtful practice. Look at previous builds for info on sinewing and having a build along will get you plenty of help and suggestions.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2019, 06:27:02 pm »
Here's one I sinewed last summer and finished up in January. It's not a bendy handle but it's 1 1/8" wide, 53" ntn & 50#@26". Didn't flip tips. Bow has 1 1/2" reflex.
    I agree with above posts about accuracy. Inside of 15 yards I'm fairly accurate but beyond 20 my accuracy declines much more  compared to my longer bows.
     Good luck with your build. I think you should have no problem getting 55# out of that stave.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline bassman

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2019, 02:50:05 am »
Nice bow their Steve.Hope you make what you want, and then post some pics. of it for us. Good Luck.