Author Topic: Many Moons Ago. Anybody remember?  (Read 3761 times)

Offline BrianS

Re: Many Moons Ago. Anybody remember?
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 08:04:23 am »
Remember the family watching it on bw tv. Seems like just yesterday even though it was a lifetime ago.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 08:08:30 am »
There is a movie, "Hidden Figures" about 3 black women mathematicians who did the calculations, with pencils and paper mind you, that allowed John Glen to orbit the earth for the first time. This was when computers were first coming out. If it weren't for these 3 unsung heroes John Glen wouldn't have gone in space when he did and the lunar landing wouldn't have happened when it did.
 On a side note...my wife's grandmother used to get her bicycle fixed by the Wright brothers in Dayton OH. and got to watch the moon landing before she passed.  Just think of how much happened between the beginning of the 20th century and 1969. How much change will we see in the next 70 years?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 02:05:00 pm »
Bob and BrianS. We watched on a grainy old B&W to.

Eric that's interesting. What was it like experiencing it in a different country? As much as my young mind could tell the whole world was watching.

1442 I'd love to go to the space museum. It is amazing how many people came together and somehow agreed on how to do this enormously difficult job.

Pat cool story about your grandmother. I've often thought of my grandmother and the changes she saw in her lifetime. She didn't get a bicycle from the wright brothers,but she was around when they were still building them. She would always say "The good old days the good old days. What the he!! Was so good about them? Anyone that tells you about the good old day's never lived through them."
I like my indoor plumbing, oven, vacuum cleaner, washing machine. The only thing she missed was the horse and buggy. She never learned to drive.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 03:57:26 pm »
too young. just barely missed it  (lol). naw im not even close to seeing it but its really amazing to see how you guys viewed it!

PS it might not happen but NASA is saying in 5 years theyre sending a woman to the moon
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Doc

« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2019, 08:26:50 am »
As much as I am in favour of space exploration. I don't understand something. What's in this for these companies that are getting involved? They wouldn't do it if there wasn't money at the end. How do they expect to make a buck?

Helium-3 is highly sought for nuclear fusion, and though the technology is still in its infancy, the element "will ultimately be quite valuable on Earth,"

(-S

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2019, 09:16:19 pm »
Don't remember actually getting to see it live, I may have been on military police duty at Ft Carson, we had pretty extreme duty hours, 12 hour shifts, 6 days on, 3 off. Saw a lot of 6 on, not many 3 off!  I did get to meet one of the crew in the spring of '70 on their speaking tour.  There were some older folks who saw the leap from covered wagons, to the man on the moon landing.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry