Author Topic: String Groove  (Read 1745 times)

Offline DC

String Groove
« on: July 25, 2019, 09:48:43 pm »
I don't know if I've asked this before but how do you guys make the string groove(blue line) without extending to far into the tip(red line)?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: String Groove
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 10:31:41 pm »
I use either a chainsaw file or rat tail rasp to cut the groove.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 12:57:48 am »
Get a very small rat tail rasp and just use the very end to rasp out the curve.   Work from the tip to center to stay out of the end if you are having trouble with that.

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 02:31:56 am »
I'm a grown man. I know how to use hand tools. I've made many bows. You think I can cut a straight nock?

No chance.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 02:42:16 am »
Very carefully! :BB >:D!  I use a chainsaw file and work from tip towards handle!  Getting them to match can be a bit of a challenge sometimes.  I also mark my slots and hope I can stay with the 45 degree angle!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:16:49 am »
I only put a grooved nock overlay on until I get to normal brace, then I mark where the string wants to go and cut my pencil lines out with a chainsaw file. This makes for a perfect string groove location when finished.

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 11:41:34 am by Eric Krewson »

gutpile

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 10:48:23 am »
obviously only needed on recurves... chainsaw file .. draw outline with pencil... pretty simple IMO..gut

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2019, 12:36:50 pm »
For the most part it is easy. It's just at the "Y" of the loop that I have a bit of trouble getting the grooves deep enough without going out of lines :D I'm tempted to use my carving chisels but that would just be asking for trouble :-[

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2019, 02:42:42 pm »
Get a rat tail.  A chainsaw file works but a small rasp is way easier to achieve the right grooves.

Offline scp

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2019, 05:05:38 pm »
I use a rotary tool with tile cutting carbide bit. Mostly for the tip grooves, but it also works for belly grooves if done really carefully using both hands. Still somewhat too dangerous for bows you spent many hours on them.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2019, 04:21:54 am »
I think I misread the original question!  Careful alignment with a chainsaw file and guide should work.  You should have a big it leeway, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 10:04:04 am »
For final alignment I put my bottom limb tip on the floor and the one I want to work on against a support on my workbench with the belly facing me. I can see if the grooves are even looking straight on from the belly. I don't cut them all the way in at first, just a couple of swipes. I usually end up raising one or lowering slightly one so they intersect perfectly.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 11:00:35 am »
I also use a small rat tail for cleaning up the grooves but I use this tool ( C ) from Lee Valley to do the shaping
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com