Author Topic: Water logged  (Read 1215 times)

Offline sleek

Water logged
« on: July 27, 2019, 07:47:00 pm »
So, I have a roughed out bow from an osage stave that was half rotted in the woods. Its was reduced to stave form in the first few days, then roughed out bow a few days later. It's been stored now inside in air conditioner for 4 days, and outside in the shade basically for a week. I dont have a grain scale to measure weight loss or I'd just do that. How long does it take a well cured piece of wood to dry out from being wet? I'm fighting the urge to get this bow shooting :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Water logged
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2019, 09:01:46 pm »
Some whitewoods will dry enough for bow building in a month or 2 under the right conditions. Osage doesn't dry that quickly.  Even though you're itching to build a bow you will be better served waiting a couple of months at least. Overstressing a wet bow will increase the set where as a well seasoned bow can give you a bow for a lifetime.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 02:58:33 pm »
Sleek, you might try to improvise a balance scale by using a metric measuring cup and water as the ballast.  1 cc of water weighs about 27 grains if I remember correctly (probably don't). But it is close,
And will tell you if the bow is losing weight.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 03:14:24 pm »
Sleek, you might try to improvise a balance scale by using a metric measuring cup and water as the ballast.  1 cc of water weighs about 27 grains if I remember correctly (probably don't). But it is close,
And will tell you if the bow is losing weight.
Hawkdancer

I love this idea. Metric system makes so much sense, I wish it were the standard.  However, I have put the bow blank in the barn, out of sight. I really hope I forget about it for a few months, cause this rash is like poison ivy. This is a VERY special piece of wood. Its figured osage found in the woods at MOJAM behind my campsite. It must have been forg9and left for many many years. It's been to more MOJAMS than most folks have. Kyle and I found it together and split the stash. Next year we are doing a flight shoot off between each others bow/s we get from it.

I will also be taking the belly cut outs and making bamboo backed laminates. The birds eye figuring will hopefully come out great :)
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 03:38:40 pm »
Sounds like fun!  Btw, a quick search says 1 gram(Gm) equals 15.432 grains(gr) - however since a grain is 1/7000 of a pound, you can reasonably forget the decimal point! (lol) (lol). I do think I will stick with grains for measuring powder charges, though!  Looking forward to seeing the bows.  Also, always wear long pants in those woods >:D!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2019, 05:31:50 pm »
I think Baker suggested tying the stave to one end of a balance beam. Tie a weight to the other end of the beam and slide it back and forth until the stave and the weight balance nicely. Every day take a look at it. If the stave is higher then it's losing weight. Readjust to level and wait. When the two stay even for a week or so you're golden ;D

PS I don't recommend hanging this in the living room