Author Topic: Bendy Handle sinewed Osage - Build along - help me out  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Sidmand

Re: Bendy Handle sinewed Osage - Build along - help me out
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 05:28:56 pm »
Got it rasped out to the lines, now I got to cut the excess belly off.  I'm thinking 3/4 of an inch thick per earlier suggestion, that sound good?  That 3/4 will be from the edge, so any crowned area will be a little thicker.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2019, 10:30:33 am »
Ok, got the belly split off, and now I need to work on some corrections I think.  Problem is, not sure where to start.  I got some side to side, a little bit of twist, and some up and down.  I think the side to side needs addressing first, but would like some feedback.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:30 am »
These next pics show the wiggles and the little twist. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2019, 11:23:46 am »
You can work side/side and up/down at the same time. Clamp the handle area well and work out the worst limb first heating and clamping as you go then on to the other limb. You can also add wedges where needed to eliminate twists.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2019, 01:49:29 pm »
Like Pat said. Doing two directions in the same spot at the same time is the way to go. When you're doing this kind of thing keep in mind that if you bend an area in one direction and then come back later to bend it in a different direction you will loose what you did the first time round.

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 01:55:46 pm »
Ok, think I got it all mostly straightened out. there is a little bit of twist still, but I need to bend the hooks in still, and I'm sort of thinking that the twist will be easier to remove after I get the curves bent.  I have a about 3 inches or so of reflex right now.

While I wait for the bow to rehydrate a bit, I have to start processing sinew.  I have a little over 3.5 ounces, some processed, some not, so I got some work to do for a minute or three.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 03:29:32 pm »
Sidmand,
               I will be following with interest, I love a good bendy...Nice pictures also
                                                                                                                          Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2019, 02:57:14 pm »
Thanks Don!

Got the stave further reduced, and I got my hooks in there.  When I look at it, I see some twist, but it seems to compensate itself, o e end twists a little one way, and the other the opposite, so the string still seems to run through the center of the bow.  I could use some better eyes and insight for sure, what would y'all do?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2019, 03:57:43 pm »
Get the bow to low brace and see how the string tracks. It will track somewhat different braced than not. Once you're there would be the time to get most of the lateral bend(off set tips) with a little heat then you can remove wood from one side of the tips or the other to get better string alignment. Best to do all this before sinewing the bow. I like it a little farther in the process(about half draw) before adding sinew, some add sinew early on and some add sinew after tillering.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2019, 04:09:53 pm »
Get the bow to low brace and see how the string tracks. It will track somewhat different braced than not. Once you're there would be the time to get most of the lateral bend(off set tips) with a little heat then you can remove wood from one side of the tips or the other to get better string alignment. Best to do all this before sinewing the bow. I like it a little farther in the process(about half draw) before adding sinew, some add sinew early on and some add sinew after tillering.

Roger that Pat, will go ahead and get it to low brace.  It's actually got a lot of bend in it now - it's not even and needs some gentle coaxing here and there yet, but I bet with an hour or two of work I could have that guy to brace or certainly low brace. 

I did see a crack that opened up on the belly running with the grain up close to the tip, so I need to go get some superglue.  I have some katalox (Mexican Royal Ebony) that I think I'm going to use for some thin underlays on the hooks, I want to see if the katalox will bend with heat.  If it's anything like Ipe heat won't do anything to it, but I'm going to try it just because I have it and I can.  Will post some pics of that experiment.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2019, 05:20:17 pm »
If you can cut the katalox thin and even enough you might be able to just bend it to the shape of the tip while glueing. Be sure the surfaces are flat and well mated before gluing.
 Getting both limbs bending evenly and together early on will allow you to concentrate on achieving your weight goal.  Leave the center 1/3 of the bow alone for now. When the rest of the limbs are bending well you can bring the bend back into the handle area. I like to feel the handle area bend slightly when I fit full draw. If you work the center too soon you'll get too much bend there too early.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2019, 10:30:29 am »
 (-P 
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2019, 10:48:36 am »
I'm following btw.  Pat's advice is as always spot on.  Enjoy and good luck with it.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.