Author Topic: Yew self-bows: Shelf or no shelf? Arrow plate or no arrow plate?  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Lefty38-55

Shelfs - I prefer to shoot off my bow hand (wearing a bow hand glove) using typical English style longbows and would only add a shelf or cut-in a shelf if I made a laminate or flat bow.

What are your thoughts?

Arrow Plates - I see polished horn and/or shell used as an arrow plate, but here my feelings are mixed. My ELB Bowyer doesn’t add one and I felt like I was ‘missing’ out on my bow, so I asked their reasoning ‘why?’ they don’t add one.

Their reply was all about the spine of wood arrows; that a properly spine matched arrow to the bow and archer doesn’t need one, that the arrow will not bear on that area at all.

At a shoot over the weekend, someone else with a hybrid self-bow had a horn plate with tremendous arrow ‘slap’ when shot. I now believe today that their spine was too stiff, and that yes indeed, carbon arrows are wicked noisy.

Looking at my bow in retrospect, there is barely a mark on it where the arrow passes the handle and my bowhand glove shows zero signs of any arrow or feather passing.

What is your experience? Or, when do YOU add either?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:38:18 am by Lefty38-55 »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: Yew self-bows: Shelf or no shelf? Arrow plate or no arrow plate?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:46:15 am »
Entirely up to the individual...
I don't do a shelf, and on bows for me I don't bother with a plate 'cos i don't shoot that much.
Bows for other people I often add a plate (I ask 'em if they want one)
The argument that the arrow doesn't bear on the bow at all is self evidently nonsense... the rear of the arrow may not, but as the initial bend starts the arrow certainly presses in against the bow as the centre buckles outward...
rubbing chalk on the side of the bow (or on the arrow) to see where it rubs is part of the fiddling and fettling of the bow. Anyhow as the arrow is drawn back it rubs on the bow... Yew is soft, a plate is a good idea if the bow is to get heavy usage.
Del
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 11:51:18 am by Del the cat »
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.