Author Topic: Odd material.  (Read 5025 times)

Half Shaft

Odd material.
« on: April 13, 2008, 01:56:27 am »
My friend has a campsite by a the river.  He noticed these white chunks that seem to be knappable.  He called it white obsidian.  Thick, white, will throw a spark! but knaps well. 

Get this, there is a factory maybe a half mile from there.  They make correll plates.  I think it may be some material discarded by the factory.  Like excess, possibly contaminated porcelain or glass.

I'll try to get some for pics to keep ya posted.  Wondering if anyone else has come across anything like it./

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Re: Odd material.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 02:05:31 am »
Hmmmm.   :-\

Where is this at?  If it's silica, it could knapp. 

Can't wait to see pics.

Mike
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 09:24:09 am »
if it porcelain or glass i dont think it would throw sparks. never know though. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline sailordad

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 12:04:11 pm »
well the wife has lots of correll dishes. i've dropped them lots of times,even busted one bowl once,never seen a spark from them yet.

but then i didnt think that correll would break either,maybe it broke because the bowl was cold from ice cream and it hit the hard tile floor lol,i can be such a clutz.
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 04:16:53 pm »
I'm sory for your loss Sailordad, the ice cream that is.   :D 
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 04:38:59 pm »
I bought a bunch of different colored glass chunks at a souvinear shop in MO one year - it was discarded slag from the Fenton glass Co. Gathered some at another place in TX "after hours" that sold glass for fancy dishes. Bet you've got something about the same - knaps easy :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Half Shaft

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 03:21:03 am »
It's in Corning Ny.  "Glass capitol of the world".  Actually, corell plates explode like anything else.  Pyrex is the type of glass that is "impact resistant"  It breaks, but not very easy.

Half Shaft

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 02:13:18 am »
If not good enough I can try another camera.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 11:17:45 am »
Yeah, that looks like some kind of slag glass. Some of it makes excellent knapping material.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.