Author Topic: Heat tape for protecting backs of bows  (Read 7181 times)

Online Badger

Heat tape for protecting backs of bows
« on: August 01, 2019, 01:59:29 pm »
   I was looking up heat resistant tapes for backing bows during a heating process. I am hoping to be able to put an entire bow in a makeshift oven and set it at somewhere between 250 degrees and 300 degrees until desired color is reached without burning the back. I found a tape on line that is 3.5 mil thick and will withstand temps up to 500 degrees. Naturally I would do some experimenting with scrap woods to get the best settings needed. The tape runs about $100.00 per roll and is only 36 yards of tape 2" wide so it runs about $1.00 per foot. I think it could be used more than once if installed over a clean back. So if I could use it 2 or 3 times it would cost about $2.00 per bow. Any opinions on how something like this might work?

Offline DC

Re: Heat tape for protecting backs of bows
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 02:21:29 pm »
Great idea. I think you should be looking more at insulating value than heat resistance. Well, both but you get my drift. It may not stop the back from over heating. What do you plan on for an oven?

Online Badger

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2019, 02:31:09 pm »
  For an oven I am toying with the idea of something with a glass front and long screws coming through the top that I could use to force the bow around a caul and then continue to heat for a while. I would use propane or natural gas as the heat source.

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2019, 05:45:54 pm »
I wonder how the heat will effect the adhesive on the tape.Is there any chance that it will “set” or “cure” it to the back of the bow making it difficult to remove? Might try a small piece on a scrap before permanently running a bow.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2019, 07:02:00 pm »
You might need more than 300 degrees to heat-treat
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Online Badger

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2019, 07:26:44 pm »
You might need more than 300 degrees to heat-treat

I was wondering about that, I guess it would take some experimenting. I am really curious if a longer lower temp heat treat might have more effects or not.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2019, 09:02:28 pm »
My question is, does the tape insulate against heat, or simply resist degradation due to heat... I  have my doubts about the insulating properties.

At the price, it seems an inquiry to the manufacturer is in order.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2019, 07:31:46 am »
Regularly thinking of better ways.    :OK    (-P
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2019, 07:45:57 am »
My question is, does the tape insulate against heat, or simply resist degradation due to heat... I  have my doubts about the insulating properties.

At the price, it seems an inquiry to the manufacturer is in order.

This is my thought too.    Obviously the back of a bow can still get very hot during heat treating too.  We probably don't exactly know how hot it can get without suffering .

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2019, 08:07:26 am »
This has been a question on heat treating I have had for a long time.  Is it the heat alone that transform the wood, or does it take pace with the charring.  What is the catalyst for change?
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2019, 08:08:57 am »
I think there's the whole Farenheit/Centigrade thing going on here ::)... I recon on about 200C for heat treating...  which is, as Marc says is say well over 300 F (~390F)
Personally I've gone metric every inch of the way ;)  ;D ::) 8)

I agree with the point about needing insulation, that's the great thing about a heat gun, you can direct the heat and shield sensitive areas.
Almost needs an oven with adjustable sides so it can clamp down on the sides of the timber leaving the back outside the oven and the belly exposed to the heat... a bit impractical  :( >:(
On the other hand maybe slathering the back with clay, like they use on knives when heat treating?
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2019, 08:20:11 am »
Hmmm,,,I'm stumped (W

Online Badger

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 09:06:37 am »
This has been a question on heat treating I have had for a long time.  Is it the heat alone that transform the wood, or does it take pace with the charring.  What is the catalyst for change?
  Slimbob, the heat treating method I use seldom involves any charring. Currently I use a heat gun and go from one end of the limb to the other in about a 3 second stroke. hen I am finished the back of the bow is too hot too touch and the belly is just darkening a bit kind of like how it does just sitting out in the sun for a few days. There is a very distinct smell that I am looking for. It is a little different with different woods but unmistakable. I am hoping to find the temp setting where I can get this smell and then hold it there for a while.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2019, 09:52:08 am »
This helps identify the proper range.  Bamboo is not technically wood but it is close enough.  Keep in mind this scenario has the whole piece equally treated.

http://www.powerfibers.com/BAMBOO_IN_THE_LABORATORY.pdf

Online Badger

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2019, 01:56:35 pm »
  That is a good article Pat, not sure how the thickness of bow limbs as opposed to bamboo would affect this, I would think about 1/8" of depth on the belly side would be mainly what was needed. They don't seem to concerned about the tension side of the boo being scorched.