Author Topic: Flint and feathers 2008  (Read 20720 times)

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
Flint and feathers 2008
« on: April 13, 2008, 05:11:47 pm »
Hello brothers and sisters of the bow, I just returned from a turkey hunt with my son Tyler and thought i would post some pics and A brief recount of the hunt. We arrived at the old farmstead early Saturday morning after a four hour drive. The turkeys were strutting along the creek bottom, and some of the toms were engaged in a fierce battle. We were able to stalk within fifteen yards of two toms who were in a full out scrap, feathers were flying and the smaller of the two was getting the worst if it. Ty readied for the shot on the larger tom and looses an arrow, the birds were so engrosed in the battle they failed to notice the arrow which missed the bird by inches. He was able to shoot a second arrow which also missed the fighting birds, this arrow spooked the pair for a brief instant causing them to step back and stare in our direction. I loosed my arrow at twelve yards into the chest of the larger bird, the flint point entered just above the beard and buried to about fifteen inches. The bird went down at about twenty yards and expired quickly. Ty was not able t get a bird on this hunt but the time we spent together was well worth it. I will be writing the entire story for a future issue.. happy hunting to all ... Hawk a/ho   

[attachment deleted by admin]
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline sailordad

Re: Flint and feathers 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 05:28:00 pm »
nice story and one fine looking buzzerd you got there.

those merriams are pretty.

must be nice to live where you can hunt with stone tips.

here in MN the law is very clear that all arrow heads must have atleast to metal cutting edges, hate that rule,or be of blunt tip.

keep up the good times with your son because before you know it theyll be moving out on their own.

peace,
                                                                                            tim
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Kegan

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 07:22:08 pm »
Excellent story (can't wait for the article) and beautiful bird! Not to mention one nice looking point ya got there :).

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 07:23:40 pm »
                                             Nice going Mike....just got one more to catch up!!!!!!!!
                                                                             >:D

Beautiful Day by the Looks of the Picture...cant wait to read the Story
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline DanaM

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 09:33:00 pm »
Thanks fer sharing Mike and I hope Ty isn't to disheartened, sounds like some quality time together  :)
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 09:36:09 pm »
 Pretty good when it's warmer in Wyoming than it is in Texas........ I had to wear a Wind Breaker all day when I went outside
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008, 10:27:42 pm »
good to  see ya guys had some action. nice turkey. did ya knap the point yourself. hopefully your son will connect soon. looks warm out there.
Modern Day Tramp

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 11:23:45 pm »
That's a great story Mike and Tyler! I'm sure with time that aim will get better and  the heart won't pump quite so hard :). You guys are killin me out there - I gotta git into the woods more often ;D. I too can't wait for the story.....
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline hawkbow

• High Country Archer
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 12:11:52 am »
Thanks brothers , the hunt was awesome and the time spent out in the hills with my boy made it even sweeter... spring bear is coming up next .. hoping for some quality time spent in the high lands in a few weeks. Hawk..a/ho
IT IS BETTER TO LOSE WITH HONOR. THAN TO WIN THROUGH DECEPTION...

Mike "Hawk" Huston

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 12:28:50 am »
Nice lookin bird there ,and quality time shared with son . Now if'n I had me some turkey feathers I could fletch me some arrows  >:D
                                                        Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 02:16:51 am »
Great story Mike and congrats on the bird. 8) I'm sure Tyler had as much fun as you. I'd bet he knows a successful hunt when he sees one. His time will come and the lessons he learned today will bring them sooner.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Dustybaer

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 02:40:24 am »
what a nice bird and a cool story.  guess you saved that smaller bird's butt (from getting beat up too badly).  maybe IT has ty's name written on it, when the time has come  ;D

Offline Little John

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 08:23:09 am »
Congrats, good story.   Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008, 10:50:41 am »
Nice story and great bird,congrats. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline flecha

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 01:33:51 pm »
Way cool!  You are my idol!
"We roped anything, anytime, anywhere with serene disregard for the consequences.
Arnold Rojas