Author Topic: When to pull to full intended draw weight?  (Read 8968 times)

Offline scp

Re: When to pull to full intended draw weight?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2019, 01:14:07 am »
My usual draw weight target is just 40 pound. If I pull hard on a bow at the long string stage, there is a good chance that I can pull it way over 40 pound just to see if it will bend at all. I just hate to look at the scale all the time while I pull on a bow on the tillering tree. Frankly I hardly ever use it anymore. I just tiller the stave without putting on the string to the short string stage. Then I tiller it short stringed to even out the bend, usually for less than an hour each time. I do not pull on it hard unless I am close to my draw length target. Then of course, I have never made a perfectly tillered bow. It sounds incredible but I read somewhere old master bowyers never even stringed the bow until it was all but finished. I guess they were doing perfect no-set-tillering.

Offline Badger

« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2019, 01:29:03 am »
    I used to take it to floor tiller with my draw knife and then usually do no more than about 20 min tillering to finish it up.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2019, 11:12:40 am »
That is closer to what I do Steve.  never 20minutes,but sometimes it's nearly finished shortly after floor tiller.  If the stave is straight and there is no heat straightening to do, then it's nearly done after floor tiller.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.