Author Topic: Wood and sinew, horn bow look alike?  (Read 4922 times)

Offline dylanholderman

Wood and sinew, horn bow look alike?
« on: August 07, 2019, 06:26:52 pm »
So I was wondering if it’s possible to make a wood and sinew bow with the same strung profile of a horn bow and get decent performance out of it.

I’m talking typical reflex for a sinew bow and typical performance, I’m not expecting horn bow performance but I’d like the look of and size of a horn bow if possible.

Offline dylanholderman

Re: Wood and sinew, horn bow look alike?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 06:27:54 pm »
And I just realized I put this in the wrong forum, can a mod move it to the bow section please?

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 06:33:13 pm »
So I was wondering if it’s possible to make a wood and sinew bow with the same strung profile of a horn bow and get decent performance out of it.

I’m talking typical reflex for a sinew bow and typical performance, I’m not expecting horn bow performance but I’d like the look of and size of a horn bow if possible.

I'm vain, I admit my faults.... BUT..... I just cant help but think of me when you mention this. I have been working on this very idea now for years. I feel like I nailed it. Ok, I'm gonna get off of tooting my own horn before I break the button. I'm gonna find that link to show you...
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline sleek

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 06:40:09 pm »
I have been dedicating g my efforts to making self bows without sinew in the size range of horn bows and the results give you darn good performance,  but not quite the look of a horn bow. Are you determined to use sinew?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 06:45:00 pm »
James Parker made one with boo back, tempered (black) boo belly with a core lam that is a very fast bow. I think you could and mulberry would be a good wood choice because it is strong, springy and physically light. I believe it was a traditional core wood for some Asiatic horn bows. I'd make the limbs wide(2") all the way out to the sayahs(sp) and add 3" to 4" of reflex, strung backwards for sinewing and curing. Sayah length could be critical as not to crush the belly. That's where the horn comes in.
 There was an old PA Magazine article about a hornless horn bow years ago. You might be able to search for it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 06:52:16 pm »
James Parker made one with boo back, tempered (black) boo belly with a core lam that is a very fast bow. I think you could and mulberry would be a good wood choice because it is strong, springy and physically light. I believe it was a traditional core wood for some Asiatic horn bows. I'd make the limbs wide(2") all the way out to the sayahs(sp) and add 3" to 4" of reflex, strung backwards for sinewing and curing. Sayah length could be critical as not to crush the belly. That's where the horn comes in.
 There was an old PA Magazine article about a hornless horn bow years ago. You might be able to search for it.

Is there a link to James' bow? I want to see that. I just started working on bamboo backed and belly laminate bows in the style if horse bows. I'd enjoy seeing this one.

Offline Badger

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 07:00:18 pm »
Generally speaking the answer is no. Horn bows look like horn bows and wood bows look like wood bows because they have different materials that works very differently. Anytime you put form before function you will sacrifice something

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 07:19:54 pm »
Generally speaking the answer is no. Horn bows look like horn bows and wood bows look like wood bows because they have different materials that works very differently. Anytime you put form before function you will sacrifice something

Which is why I haven't built another one like the one I posted. The design has changed as the materials have indicated they dont like  being used this way.

Offline PatM

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 10:23:07 pm »
As long as you make it the design of one of the many horn composite bows which match what wood and sinew can handle you will be fine.

A sinew backed medium length recurve is doing all the same things and many people make them with no trouble.

As soon as someone brings this topic up everyone starts talking Turkish flight bows as the only known horn bow in existence.

Offline Badger

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 10:58:47 pm »
Pat if a horn sinew bow copies of wood bow design of course you can copy that with a wood bow

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2019, 12:26:28 am »
As long as you make it the design of one of the many horn composite bows which match what wood and sinew can handle you will be fine.

A sinew backed medium length recurve is doing all the same things and many people make them with no trouble.

As soon as someone brings this topic up everyone starts talking Turkish flight bows as the only known horn bow in existence.

To be fair,  it is the most often discussed and famous. It is what first comes to my mind.

bownarra

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2019, 01:21:12 am »
Any decent hornbow will have a short bending limb or a huge drawlngth - try to do that with wood and you will see what set and chrysals are!
I find it so funny when people argue that you could make 'a hornbow' out of wood.....
You would have to either vastly reduce drawlength and/or increase bending limb and then not care that it doesn't look like or bend like the hornbow that you are trying to copy.
As Badger says the materials are vastly different = there is your answer. ;)

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2019, 07:18:59 am »
See, That's what I'm talking about.  Stick around a  bit longer this time,  Mikey. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2019, 08:13:56 am »
 I believe what Dylan's question was can a wood/sinew bow be made that CAN LOOK like a horn bow not will it perform like a horn bow. Yes, you can make a wood/sinew that looks like a horn bow and I think it can be a good shooting bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC