Author Topic: Wood and sinew, horn bow look alike?  (Read 4924 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Wood and sinew, horn bow look alike?
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2019, 09:11:30 am »
I believe what Dylan's question was can a wood/sinew bow be made that CAN LOOK like a horn bow not will it perform like a horn bow. Yes, you can make a wood/sinew that looks like a horn bow and I think it can be a good shooting bow.

Agreed, but it's not easy, and I believe there a slightly different designs that can achieve better results in performance if your goal isn't to stick to a horn bow appearance.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2019, 09:33:20 am »
I believe what Dylan's question was can a wood/sinew bow be made that CAN LOOK like a horn bow not will it perform like a horn bow. Yes, you can make a wood/sinew that looks like a horn bow and I think it can be a good shooting bow.

Thank you pat that is exactly what I’m asking, it’s for re-enactment and probably around 30-40 lbs.
I’m not chasing numbers if it’s on par with a decent self bow of the same poundage I’ll be happy with it.

Offline sleek

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2019, 09:53:46 am »

Thank you pat that is exactly what I’m asking, it’s for re-enactment and probably around 30-40 lbs.
I’m not chasing numbers if it’s on par with a decent self bow of the same poundage I’ll be happy with it.

It can be done, Its not easy, but you have plenty of resources here to help. The best start would be to post a picture or a link to an image ( if the link is something for sale, break the link so as not to violate rules here ) of what you are wanting to replicate with wood and sinew. What bow do you want it to look like?

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2019, 11:50:50 am »
On the contrary it's quite easy to  make one and the numbers achieved will be largely indistinguishable.

Many guys are now making composite bows and publishing their numbers.  The bows which relatively exceed wood or wood/sinew bows are as rare as unicorn sinew.

Offline sleek

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2019, 12:04:56 pm »
On the contrary it's quite easy to  make one and the numbers achieved will be largely indistinguishable.

Many guys are now making composite bows and publishing their numbers.  The bows which relatively exceed wood or wood/sinew bows are as rare as unicorn sinew.

Well, looks like I'm going to learn from this thread also. I'd like to know more Pat....

Offline PatM

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2019, 12:34:08 pm »
Pick a design best suited to  wood and sinew, make  the bow as long as the longer known examples of the design.

Then just follow typical good bow making techniques.

Draw the bow to the max and use the same type of arrows they tended to actually use back in the day with composite bows.

The fact that composites tended to have more reflex and longer draws is not really relevant unless you are actually going to change your typical draw length.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2019, 02:06:13 pm »
I’ll start once I get home, I’m at a big re-enactment right now.
I think I have some mulberry at home that would make a good body for this project, and if it’s not clean enough I have some Osage too.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2019, 03:19:44 pm »
ok So do we have any idea what mongol and Roman bows looked like?
All I can find online is ugly leather covered glass bows with a frigin 2x4 If a tip glued on to the end  ::) :-\

Offline PatM

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2019, 03:28:00 pm »
There's plenty of pictures now available of authentic ancient era Mongol bows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnGce3FXDo

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2019, 04:27:52 pm »
Ok so like a Chinese bow but the tips are at a less severe angle.

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2019, 04:31:45 pm »
In their original design that's more or less true.  Magyar and Hun bows are also decent models to copy.

Offline sleek

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2019, 08:45:48 pm »
There's plenty of pictures now available of authentic ancient era Mongol bows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTnGce3FXDo

That had to be the absolute most mesmerizing video I have ever seen.

Offline PatM

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2019, 09:00:58 pm »
That's been posted a couple of times here.  Everyone enjoys it.

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 10:00:07 pm »

here's where i'm at on this project right now, mulberry limbs (way oversized) walnut grip overall length is 57'' aiming for 55'' ntn
still need to steam the splices, because my skill in cutting them isn't so great i found out.
and bend the tips.

also i roughed out and reflexed the handles on two plains bows 47'' and 40'' tip to tip respectively

Offline sleek

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:40 pm »

here's where i'm at on this project right now, mulberry limbs (way oversized) walnut grip overall length is 57'' aiming for 55'' ntn
still need to steam the splices, because my skill in cutting them isn't so great i found out.
and bend the tips.

also i roughed out and reflexed the handles on two plains bows 47'' and 40'' tip to tip respectively

It's nice to see you making progress,  splice doesn't look bad...