Author Topic: Snake skins  (Read 886 times)

Offline RAU

Snake skins
« on: August 12, 2019, 10:56:10 am »
Hi guys, My son and I each bought Pennsylvania timber Rattlesnake tags this year and each got a big rattler. I want to mount them both nose to tail on a piece of barnwood. Ive got them skinned and tacked out and dried. My question is do any of you all see any benefit to tanning these skins with glycerine and alcohol for my intended purpose? I don’t see any benefit at all but wanted to ask for some other opinions before I do this. I’ve mounted raw dried snake skins on bow limbs several times with tight bond and had no issue. I was thinking I’d do the same. Maybe finish the skins with true oil or a poly after gluing down I’ll just have to be careful to not get any on the barnwood

If this is improper and has to be removed because it’s not directly related to a bow I understand and apologize. I was going to use them for a bow but changed my mind because they’re both very dark color and want to display them together and with the rattles attached

Thanks,

Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Snake skins
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 12:01:55 pm »
All I'd do is seal the skins, maybe with spray poly. No need to tan.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline RAU

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 12:42:21 pm »
Thanks Pat, That’s what I’ve done when glueing to bow limbs just wondering if that glycerin/alcohol solution might look better in this application

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 02:01:53 pm »
In my experience it changes the color. I think just drying and sealing would give the skins a more natural appearance.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC