Author Topic: Anybody seen this before?  (Read 3990 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Anybody seen this before?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2019, 10:16:33 am »
The job of fungi is to break down natural materials back into the environment and it is very good at it. Whitewoods will be infected pretty rapidly and as long as there is any moisture in the wood the fungi will thrive.
 I cut backing strips from a log that had been in a garage for 2 years. The first one I used failed because of fungi. The moisture in the log didn't have enough time to dissipate before the fungi worked itself throughout the log.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2019, 01:00:47 pm »
someone seny me a nice piece of pecan,, it was wrapped in plastic,, I did not take it out, the bows I made exploded,,,my bad,,on not taking it out of the plastic,,

Offline kbear

« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2019, 06:33:17 pm »
How was the stave prepped and handled from the stump?

Not really sure. The stave was an ebay purchase. It was cut 03/19, so fairly recently. I guess now I can probably speculate it may have been already dead. I have got a dozen or so staves from this seller. This is the first to let me down. No matter.

Since we don't have Hickory in Aus, I was real keen to try. Dashed!

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2019, 07:59:26 pm »
That might be your answer.   How long did it take for the stave to arrive and how was it shipped?

Offline StickMark

« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2019, 08:13:32 pm »
Thanks for posting this this.
I think the rot, dry rot, bugs, are affecting my white oak boards.  Meaning, they break.  A sinew backed bow broke,with a 57 " length for 24 " draw.

Offline TimberTinker

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2019, 12:50:07 am »
My first bow was a red oak board bow.  At 30# with the long string the limb blew off with such force I found it clear across my basement after 15 minutes of searching.  It snapped across the limb closer to the handle just like your picture.  The grain was very solid, I really think it was the moisture content being too low.  I had just picked it up from Menards.  I made my second bow with the same design, same type of wood, not as solid grain from a board that had spent two years in my basement and it turned out great. 

Dry wood doesn't just fail, it snaps like a pencil.  Might have been the issue with both our bows.

Just an observation from a newbie.

Offline kbear

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2019, 01:25:14 am »
That might be your answer.   How long did it take for the stave to arrive and how was it shipped?

Postage was by USPS Priority Mail from Tecumseh to Sydney. By air I'm sure, because it was here in like three weeks. Surprisingly quick.