Author Topic: Hair brained  (Read 6262 times)

Offline sleek

Re: Hair brained
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 01:11:49 pm »
May need to find a way to strip a chemical bond from the hair, removing, say two molecules then add one, having the two chains each bond to it, then add a forming a single chain. Perhaps strip away the sodium, sulfur, or hydrogen, and allow them to rebond to each other as a solid mass at that point.

Anyone here a chemist?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 01:32:36 pm »
 (-P
Somewhere I have a bunch of my hair around too, looking forward for the outcome!

Offline bassman

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 03:56:28 pm »
Sleek, it sounds by the way you are talking that you are a chemist.Go for it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 05:23:58 pm »
May need to find a way to strip a chemical bond from the hair, removing, say two molecules then add one, having the two chains each bond to it, then add a forming a single chain. Perhaps strip away the sodium, sulfur, or hydrogen, and allow them to rebond to each other as a solid mass at that point.

Anyone here a chemist?

It should be noted that to really bond other composites the reinforcing material is supposed to be either "etched" or sized with a bond enhancing agent to truly get the two materials to fuse.

Glass and carbon are sized and materials like linen or cotton for micarta are supposed to have something like a silane solution applied to  make the fibers less glossy on the   surface.

Offline DLH

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 09:48:14 pm »
Have you considered using keratin glue? It seems this is used in the hair world I thought it was some other type of glue but what I seen was Italian keratin. I also found a us patemt that describes kind of what you are talking about but it’s to take hair horn hoof to make into adhesives. They describe using sodium sulfide and caustic solution reacted under moderate pressure to make adhesive out of the waste products and it can be blended with other glues for plywood. We deal with some resins at work and this peaked my interest similar process using pressure.

Offline sleek

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 10:15:38 pm »
Have you considered using keratin glue? It seems this is used in the hair world I thought it was some other type of glue but what I seen was Italian keratin. I also found a us patemt that describes kind of what you are talking about but it’s to take hair horn hoof to make into adhesives. They describe using sodium sulfide and caustic solution reacted under moderate pressure to make adhesive out of the waste products and it can be blended with other glues for plywood. We deal with some resins at work and this peaked my interest similar process using pressure.

Now that's neat to know about the keratin glue. As it's a protein chain  I wouldn't have thought it would make a glue out of keratin itself. I will look that up. Also, REALLY nice to know I was almost spot on about the sodium sulfide, though I speculated it would need a disulfide  I will research this more. Thanks!

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2019, 10:50:46 pm »
Sleek, it sounds by the way you are talking that you are a chemist.Go for it.

If only I had the memory for retention, I could be all kinds of fun things, but I just keep a very basic understanding of how things work handy in my brain  and rely on that to figure solutions to my problems. I find research is easier than memorizing.

Offline sleek

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 08:05:42 pm »
Whelp, the hair is gone and bundled up into two nice even bundles. The beard too. I got enough beard off to use for a short practice bow to make certain I got a good glue/hair bond and it can take a compression load.Im also curious about using hair as a backing material as well considering its tensile strength.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:15 pm »
Unfortunately it’s just gonna add weight and slow the bow down. Just gluing it won’t get you the solid density you need to benefit. Would make a better backing than a belly  I think.
I cut my hair once a year, it grows pretty quick. And then I donate it. Maybe do that? Save some for a good solid string and then donate the rest. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 10:38:46 pm by Bryce »
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 12:18:01 pm »
I just measured the hair, I thought we were taking 22 inches off. Turned out to be 26. I'm looking forward to starting on the bearded bow soon...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2019, 08:03:11 am »
I once saw a lady that had never cut her finger nails.  They wrapped around on themselves like ram's horns.  She would walk around with her hands up in the air like a surgeon who had just scrubbed up.  I always thought it was vile.  How does she wipe her butt? ???  Maybe she had "wipers" like in the movie 'Coming to America'?

Anyhow, made me wonder if you collected enough creepy long lady fingernails and laminated them together with hide glue if it would do the job.  Ha! ;D

1’—>1’

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2019, 12:17:19 pm »
I once saw a lady that had never cut her finger nails.  They wrapped around on themselves like ram's horns.  She would walk around with her hands up in the air like a surgeon who had just scrubbed up.  I always thought it was vile.  How does she wipe her butt? ???  Maybe she had "wipers" like in the movie 'Coming to America'?

Anyhow, made me wonder if you collected enough creepy long lady fingernails and laminated them together with hide glue if it would do the job.  Ha! ;D

Maybe a bidet? Either way...🤢🤢🤮🤮
Clatskanie, Oregon