Author Topic: Hunting trip  (Read 2881 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Hunting trip
« on: August 04, 2019, 08:58:09 am »
Hi everyone,

so I planned a deer hunting trip to Kentucky for the first week of September. I started a new job about a month ago, negotiated a week off for the pre planned trip and Kentucky decided to change opening day to the following week. I知 not sure I値l be able to switch my week off, so I知 considering hunting else where. Open to any suggestions!! Just need to find something and somewhere to hunt the first week of September. Can you all help me decide where to go and what critter to chase after?

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Hunting trip
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:29:32 am »
Indiana bow season doesn't open until October 1st.  I'll be chasing elk the first 2 weeks of September in Colorado.   You can buy an over the counter tag for them.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 10:58:00 am »
Indiana bow season doesn't open until October 1st.  I'll be chasing elk the first 2 weeks of September in Colorado.   You can buy an over the counter tag for them.

Good Luck Clint. I can't wait to read about it.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 11:32:44 am »
Clint, Michigan is the same, October 1. I have a bear tag but it doesn稚 open until September 20 something. I see Colorado and Nebraska have seasons that open on September 1. Might be going to one of those states.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 06:32:33 pm »
I'd tell you to come on down but it don't come in here till the first of October

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 08:28:24 am »
Archery in Zone A opens the first of August in Florida.Hot and humid in the 'glades in August.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 01:51:41 pm »
Rob, Pennsylvania was one of the first places I checked. Wish it was September 1.

Eddie, that痴 sounds a lot like an invitation. ;D I値l check out the Florida website and get some info on tags and prices. I assumed Florida opened up later simply due to the heat in August and September.

Thanks!
Rockford, MI

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 12:11:21 am »
When ya'all come to Colorado drop me a pm, and maybe we can meet up for a beverage, if you lay over near Denver.  I'm in Loveland.  Train hard though, most of the good elk hunting is above 9,00 ft.  Deer are pretty much all over.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 05:16:17 am »
Dave, Parnell lives in Zone A and I live in Zone C. We start later up here.
too many mosquitos in the 'glades for me.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 10:05:07 am »
If you're not set on deer, lot's of places have hog hunting year round.
Trevor

Offline sleek

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 12:06:15 pm »
NC has opening day Archery on Sept 7th  and the deer population is insane. I see them daily.

Edit: Seems different zones in NC have different dates and such.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:09:19 pm by sleek »
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 11:17:18 pm »
Seems to be plenty of deer and elk tags leftover out here!  I am going to have to forego bow season to get my knee repaired - should be ready for 2nd rifle season late October!  Got to make meat this to catch up with Little Fiddle Woman - she even volunteered to help me dress it out!  Did good last year, but I think a gambrel with a tripod frame and a winch is a good idea!
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 06:55:55 am »
thanks for all the info fellas. I知 still not sure where I値l go, but Nebraska is looking good. Anybody on here live in Nebraska? Looks like I can get an antelope tag for 185$. Would have to go to the far west end of Nebraska, but never hunted antelope. Sounds fun! Running out of time to plan a big trip though. I値l keep ya all posted. May end up being able switch my vacation days around and still go to Kentucky.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 01:19:03 pm »
There should.  Be pronghorn antelope in the counties bordering Wyoming, but never hunted for the there.  Lots in Wyoming and Colorado, Wyoming tag may be cheaper for does, Colorado the cost is the same for bucks and does.
Hawkdancer
Jerry

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2019, 04:39:21 am »
You could check SC. No archery season 1st week Sept. but there are archery only areas and deer season is open in parts of SC 1st week. You may have to dig through the web site to find what you need. Day time temps will be in the 90s and it could stay pretty balmy through the night.