Author Topic: Wound channel  (Read 3202 times)

Offline Little John

Wound channel
« on: August 11, 2019, 03:07:46 pm »
I was shooting a piece foam 16 inches round and 24 inches long. It is for getting water out of pipelines, I thought it would simulate an elk body. I was amazed that a grizzly single bevel broadhead, hunting sharp, would cut an exit hole about 2 inches across with a plug of foam coming out that had a tail and looked like a tornado. Double bevel Zwickies only cut a slit on exit. Makes me realise how devastating the single bevel could be when spinning in the correct direction.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline sleek

Re: Wound channel
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:35 pm »
That's a nice visual.  Brings a smile to my face.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 04:05:02 pm »
Hey Kenneth. Been thinking about Salt Creek lately. I probably wouldn't recognize it with all the dead trees. I guess you are gearing up for the season. Will you hunt in the Canyon, your hey field next to it or elsewhere?
Interesting about the single bevel blades.  Dr. Ashley used single bevel Grizzly broadheads for his study. You have to be sure the arrow is spinning the same way the head will cut for best penetration.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 04:49:03 pm »
Maybe not for the best penetration but for the best cut. Yes I want to hunt Salt, at least to see what the big fire after a year. Will also hunt the canyons and farm country. Been working a lot but will be done in a few days so should be able to have the time.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 04:59:43 pm »
Take some pics of Salt for me. I didn't know there was a fire but it probably the best thing for that area. At least now you'll possibly have access now and maybe some tender shoots to draw the elk.   
Chicken fried elk backstrap. Yum!   :OK
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Little John

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 05:05:02 pm »
Oh yea, huge fire in Hermosa more than 50 square miles. I rode the high line last fall. Some parts burned badly, soma areas just cleaned up. lower areas worse with the highercountry sunburned. Haven't been down into the heart of it to see the damage or how many elk around should be fun.

Offline Little John

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 05:31:21 pm »
I tried to post pictures but it said too big, will try to resize.