Author Topic: Nail in stave  (Read 3087 times)

bownarra

Re: Nail in stave
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 07:39:11 am »
I'm tempted to pre drill and nail into a perfectly clear piece of osage for my next bow:)

That would break fibers. A nail just pushes them away. I'm  amazed someone was able to drive a nail into osage. I didnt know that was possible.

To a point. How about hammering a round nail like that one into the back of a finished bow? You reckon it will be ok? ;) What belts do you use on your sander? Zirconium? Ceramic?

If it was my stave I would use a fine punch to remove the metal then sinew or rawhide back it. I like to make a bow that is going to last :) Broken fibers on the back may hold...they also may not...and getting a whack on the head isn't much fun when it could have easily been avoided.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2019, 02:32:30 pm »
In thinking about it, if it were my stave, I would punch out the nail so you can tiller properly. I would leave that area a little stiffer than the rest of the limbs. I've seen plenty of knot hole bows though I don't think I've ever made one. But I've made bows with plenty of punky knots.

I would also get yourself a dowel maker of the paper diameter, make a dowel and glue it in with a waterproof wood glue. That way you can punch out a nice osage dowel. If you don't want to do that then just bring the nail to a hardware store and buy an appropriately sized dowel.

Osage doesn't take well to violations. I'm conflicted on the rawhide backing. At least with a knot the wood has compensated properly with grain lines running around the knot. It may be needed. Don't know.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2019, 03:01:00 pm »
I built one once with 3 nails in it, the wood was a purple color and it worked out fine, still shooting today, in fact I won BOY with it. Good luck, you should be fine. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gifford

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2019, 05:29:06 pm »
At one of the early MoJAMs, I recall someone having a big fence staple in their bow. Kind of like a Timex, Osage can take a licking and keep on ticking.

Offline Woodely

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2019, 06:11:14 pm »
I would pull it out or smack it out and fill in the hole with a dowel.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2019, 08:01:18 pm »
Apg, the belly has no build up around the knot shown. I just gently scraped over the knot with a cabinet scraper so it is flat with the belly. The wood puckers if you will alittle bit on the back as the growth rings swelled up around the knot itself. More of a bump. Then I saturated the knot on both sides with superglue until it wouldn’t take anymore.

Offline apg

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2019, 05:58:28 pm »
All good information and thank you.

I’ve tillered it to brace weight, and it’s feeling good so far. Slightly wider at that nail and around the knots. It’s also a little fatter at the nail. I’ll see if I need to keep that or not.

I’ve got another knot right by the handle after the fades on the limb. I guess I should rasp that out right?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2019, 06:23:40 pm »
It looks like another nail hole?
I think I would sand or rasp it out.
Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bentstick54

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2019, 08:44:04 pm »
If it was mine, I would take it off being on the edge like that, and looks like you have room to do it. When you round over the edges I would try to get as much of the darker streak worked out so it’s not right on the edge also.

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2019, 08:52:47 pm »
If it was mine, I would take it off being on the edge like that, and looks like you have room to do it. When you round over the edges I would try to get as much of the darker streak worked out so it’s not right on the edge also.

I agree, but it's so close to the fade where it's not subject to much bending anyway   I dont think it's as critical as it would be anywhere else in the limbs.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others