Author Topic: Purple leaf plum stick D/R  (Read 5491 times)

Offline backtowood B2W

Purple leaf plum stick D/R
« on: August 12, 2019, 02:08:24 am »
I roughed out this 5 year old shoot green, bent it sealed to a plank and let it dry. I was not able to bring the profile in symmetry, so I steam bent it to decrease some of the D/R in the lower and induce some into the upper. Also some straightening for string alignment. It looked good but the next day a lot moved back. So more corrections with the heat gun until I was happy with the symmetry. Started tillering and a lot of it jumped back again! Once again a dry heat session, until the wood spoke to me… I stopped forcing the wood as I developed some belly cracks, decided to leave the shape as it was, and finish the tiller with what I got. The ends of the cracks I pricked with a needle ( the idea is to stop them running further and to see if they are running further, a trick shown me from a great bowyer)

Offline backtowood B2W

Re: Purple leaf plum stick D/R
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 02:10:47 am »
It is 62“ ntn and weights 42# at 27“
Symmetric limb length and a short semi stiff handle which I upholstered with black leather and a cane wrap to hold everything in place.
The upper nock is a brunch and the whole tip cranks out heavily so the tips came out quite beefy ( w: 15/32“, d: 5/8“ ). Heat corrections weren’t an option at this knotty area. I was able to leave some bark at the tips and handle, but the working parts I had to bring down to the c ambium. And at the spots where I bent it green and tied it, also the cambium went off. So i scraped some at the back to get a symmetric pattern.
To tell you about set is quite difficult as I don’t remember the original shape of the shoot  and also I messed around a lot with corrections. String tension is good at brace and light arrows let you feel a bit handshock. Speed is good, it is accurate with a good release which reacts more sensible to me.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 02:13:33 am »
Woodspecies: Purple leaf plum, shoot
42#27“
brace height: 5"
Max w: 1“
semi bendy Handle 3“
Fades: 1 1/2“
symmetric
Finish: Tungoil
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:28:19 am by backtowood B2W »

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 02:20:32 am »
The unbraced pic is made after unstringing, and 1/2" string follow goes back to 1" set.

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 02:22:36 am »
nocks

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:18 am »
Thanks for watching, feel free to let me know what ya think
B2W

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 03:42:41 am »
  Looking at the unbraced pic vs full draw I see everything moving/working...Nice work B2W, really like the pin nocks...
                                                                                                                                                                            Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bassman

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 04:59:33 am »
Some serious bow makers on here like Plum as a bow wood. Nicely done.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 07:45:58 am »
That is a cool stick!
More mid to outer limb bend would get rid of the handshock. When r/d bows have perfect tiller they are virtually dead in the hand but of course I see you had limitations with the knots, shape etc on this sapling.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 08:11:33 am »
I like it a bunch.  Plum is on my bucket list.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:11 am »
Looks good.  What are the marks in the limb around the knot?....compression fractures?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 09:47:16 am »
Cool bow. I like the Plum.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 12:06:06 pm »
Nice job!  Like the plun!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline TimBo

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 01:17:20 pm »
Great job seeing the bow in that stave and making it happen...especially with a challenging design like D/R!  Also, I am stealing your grip idea...

Offline backtowood B2W

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 01:29:00 pm »
Thank you don, glad you like it!
Thanks bassman, I know and making them is a lot of fun, shooting em too!
Bownarra, I also like the r/d with more bend mid limb but on this one the transition is more inwards so I put most bend there( I did' want to mess too much with profile corrections midlimbs too outwards as there are many knots). The handshock is noticeable with really light arrows.
Thanks slim bob, I wonder why there aren't more plum bows around!? Is it hard too find? You should definitely try it, is a pleasure to work with and responds to corrections fast...
Marc St. L., the marks are tension fractures caused by dry heat bending, I think there is a limit at bending wood...
Thank you D.C. And hawkdancer
Thanks TimBo, the grip isn't actually my idea, sword grips were made like this they only unwrapped the leather to get even more structure and grip.