Author Topic: Take down sleeve recommendations  (Read 3153 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Take down sleeve recommendations
« on: October 04, 2019, 01:09:40 pm »
I am gathering materials for a Victorian carriage bow style longbow with all the bells and whistles.  That means I will need to get takedown sleeves. I am looking for recommendations and people's experience with the various commercial versions available.

What say you, members of the jury?

Also, if anyone knows of a source for the hinged takedown hardware, I'd REALLY love that. And if it was an antique original in working condition, I would be willing to offer a finder's gift (since fees and cash money are not acceptable by Forum Rules).
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
Re: Take down sleeve recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 04:26:13 pm »
I use seamless steel tubing. One limb permanently epoxied, the other end waxed before epoxy so it will slip out (With a fair amount  of effort the first  time).

Could make both ends slip for more compactness.

I  pin the permanent end and slot the other end of the handle for an eighth of an inch or so and put a locating pin in  the limb to match the slot.
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2019, 05:26:11 pm »
  The Hinge Outlet has nice stainless steel flush hinges.    Doubt you're going to find original authentic stuff that you can trust.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2019, 07:46:27 am »
I have experience with 1 commercial steel sleeve and it's not something I would do again.  Making my own out of FG on the other hand....
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2019, 02:45:36 pm »
I have experience with 1 commercial steel sleeve and it's not something I would do again.  Making my own out of FG on the other hand....

Which one was it? If you do not wanna share publicly, feel free to send me a private message.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 07:58:01 am »
I have one of the commercial sleeves, I used it, violated a grain right where the wood fit into the sleeve and the bow failed just as I was finishing it up. It is labor intensive fitting the sleeve to your limbs but done right it works just fine. It has a steel outside and brass inside sleeve.

I will send it to you for free if you want to give it a try, I heated it up to get all the epoxy out of it and it needs to be cleaned up.

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 10:14:29 am »
I have one of the commercial sleeves, I used it, violated a grain right where the wood fit into the sleeve and the bow failed just as I was finishing it up. It is labor intensive fitting the sleeve to your limbs but done right it works just fine. It has a steel outside and brass inside sleeve.

I will send it to you for free if you want to give it a try, I heated it up to get all the epoxy out of it and it needs to be cleaned up.

Eric, what do you use now?  I only have one BBO where I used the same sleeve you are showing and it seems to work fine after maybe 20 years now.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 11:41:48 am »
People aren't really saying there's anything inherently wrong with them,  they are just a bit too finicky in fitting.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 11:49:09 am »
I don't make takedowns anymore, my bow making has fallen off after a bad hernia repair that makes drawknife uncomfortable.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 05:21:55 pm »

Which one was it? If you do not wanna share publicly, feel free to send me a private message.

If you mean the one with the commercial sleeve then this was it http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,66411.msg933459.html#msg933459

If you mean the one with an FG sleeve then this was it http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,34568.msg455672.html#msg455672 but it looks like I need to update the pictures
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Bob Barnes

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 07:33:43 pm »
I don't make takedowns anymore, my bow making has fallen off after a bad hernia repair that makes drawknife uncomfortable.

sorry to hear it Eric... I have seen you post pictures of some really nice bows over the years.
Seems like common sense isn't very common any more...

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2019, 10:43:09 am »
have a look on Simson site
there is a very nice "Homemade take down sleeves" article with detailed description