Author Topic: Bow belly lifted splinter help (pic added)  (Read 1109 times)

Offline Woodwose

Bow belly lifted splinter help (pic added)
« on: August 13, 2019, 05:48:53 am »
Hello everyone,

First time poster, loooooong time lurker.

I have one James Parker’s fine you-finish bow kits that has an issue.  The belly on the bottom limb has chrysalled in two places.  One is just above a small sidelong pin knot, this one doesn’t seem to be an issue and there’s really nothing I can do about it anyway.  However, another chrysal developed about 10” above the first, and about an inch below the fade.  This second chrysal is above a rather large sidelong knot/wave in the grain and has proceeded to form a splinter around said knot/grain.  After retillering the top limb (of course limb movement was out of balance after all this, probably before too  O:) ) I have added a sturdy sinew wrap to halt any further movement of the splinter.

Does anyone have any experience with this?  It’s an ipe bow with a bamboo back, so I’m thinking it can take the stress without blowing out and stabbing me in the ribs.  The fact that it’s on the belly is what’s perplexing me/also giving me hope.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 07:25:56 am by Woodwose »

gutpile

Re: Bow belly lifted splinter help (pic added)
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:27:17 am »
that's bad... not good at all.. hate to say it... TOAST... gut

Offline PatM

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 08:17:11 am »
That's too risky.  Ipe doesn't like that sort of grain.  "Plate tectonics" start happening with Ipe.  That's its biggest weakness.

Offline Woodwose

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 09:51:51 am »
Thanks y’all, I really wanted to hunt with a wood bow this year but I suppose it’s not in the cards.  The old recurve will have to do.

Plate tectonics! That’s exactly what it looks like.  Looking closer at the picture, I think I exacerbated the problem by forming a little dip just above the spot with the scraper....alas.

I should also say that I think James Parker makes an excellent product, and this is by no means a critique of his work.  I had another bow from him that I passed on to my friend, she shot like a dream.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 10:16:23 am »
That was going to happen no matter what you did with your scraper, don't beat yourself up. The grain is nasty. That type of swirl in ipe is certain death every time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 10:18:11 am »
How long have you hads the bow?  Contact James. He might help you out with that.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 04:48:54 pm »
yep,, not good

Offline Woodwose

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 06:57:46 am »
I don’t think i’ll Bother James with it, just chalk it up to poor luck.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to reuse the majority of the wood?  I’m tossing the cocobolo because that stuff makes me ITCHY.

Also, you ever bag any white squirrels down there in Brevard, Pat M?  We were just down there and my wife spotted one.  She was very excited....I just found myself wondering if they taste different  ;D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2019, 10:50:33 am »
It's me in Brevard not PatM. I have shot a few with a bow but my dogs usually get it. I do save the tails for decorations.
 They breed with their cousins, gray squirrels so I imagine they taste the same.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2019, 10:58:40 am »
sorry but that grain looks very bad. dont worry theres still time to get a bow working!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.