Author Topic: Hard Maple Backing Strips  (Read 1169 times)

Offline Eric Garza

Hard Maple Backing Strips
« on: August 13, 2019, 06:58:46 am »
I have been working on a maple-backed ipe flat bow, and the project is coming along nicely. I made one other laminated bow a number of years back, and was not impressed with the project because I was not set up well to do the job. I am set up better now, with predictably better results.

My question is: where do people get good maple (or hickory) backing strips these days. I bought from several suppliers and was sent what I would consider to be trash, and returned the strips taking a hit on the shipping costs. I ended up with one decent maple strip after buying a few from a supplier on the big auction site, and will be returning the rest because they are garbage. I want to make a few more laminated bows and experiment with some of the harder tropical woods, but need a reliable source for backing material and do not care for bamboo.

Options? Feel free to PM me if that is easier.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Hard Maple Backing Strips
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 07:08:24 am »
Make them, Eric. Pretty much anything you buy are just boards ripped into slats with NO regard to grain structure. Even the guys who say they are made for bow backers are lying. I've yet to see proper backers being sold anywhere.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:14:08 am »
Making my own would be ideal, but I do not have any power tools. What do people usually use? Band saws? Table saws? Something else?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 07:21:58 am »
band saws are (sometimes and this might just be me) flimsy and can create a uneven cut. a table saw would work best and then i would use a block planer to make it flat or just sand it by hand with a sanding block. good luck!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 07:40:12 am »
Most Re-saw the boards on a tuned band saw and then run them through a planer to make them parallel and flat. Sometimes you can find 1" x 2" x 8' boards. In that case you can rip them down the center and have one sawn edge and one factory edge per piece. Its a bit wasteful, but hickory is cheap enough.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 07:46:00 am »
Cut my own trees and cut my own strips, I am quite picky when it comes to cutting a tree for backings.  A properly adjusted band saw will do a better job than a table saw.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline PatM

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 08:14:56 am »
Check and see if you have any local shops which sell specialty wood mouldings, bannisters etc.   I have found piles of good maple strips at one of those.   

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2019, 11:09:29 am »
Thanks for the advice! I wish there was a reputable dealer out there would could supply these consistently.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 01:41:04 am »
If you want something done right...do it yourself :)