Author Topic: Hard maple design  (Read 1218 times)

Offline StickMark

Hard maple design
« on: August 21, 2019, 11:26:27 pm »
I have some hard maple board material.  Not fully quartersawn, but close, so I will (can) back with one layer of sinew, or more.
Question: 1.5 inches wide D-bow or more Ishi 1.7" handle, or rigid handle 2" plus wide.  Willing to go long, 60 plus inches.

Considerations;  Utilized in arid lands, humidity swings of 10% to near 50%, 95% at times; temperature range of 15 degrees to 110 degrees plus.  I draw 24 naturally, and will use this bow for hunting deer, small game, etc..  Want both some arrow speed and a weapon that will survive and be trustworthy in the wilderness (but I may make a shorter bow to be the archery version of a BUG, back up gun, for longer hunts, putting it in a bow sheath attached to quiver).

Thoughts?

Offline MattZA

• Formerly MattTheClueless
Re: Hard maple design
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 11:58:25 pm »
I guess it depends if it's going to be your primary weapon or your "BUG".

If it's your back up I'd suggest an Ishi style short bow. With your short draw you could easily get away with 54" and a couple of inches of reflex steamed in before sinewing. Overall that'll give you a good few inches of reflex to help give you the draw weight / FD curve required for medium game.
Unprofessional bowyer. Johannesburg, South Africa.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:32:10 am »
Matt, I mis-typed. Primarily, I am looking for a full fledged hunting weapon out of the hard maple.
The idea of a back up bow, that is a secondary thought, and I should not have added it.

The Ishi style has the advantage of those wider limbs...I ponder going longer than 54", to aid in longevity and ease of shooting. 

Offline scp

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 11:40:35 am »
The longer the better. The wider the better, for most white wood at least. Within reason, of course. Better start with a 68 inch long and 2 inch wide stave. Good luck.