Author Topic: how fast can you really make them  (Read 7066 times)

Offline Nasr

how fast can you really make them
« on: August 16, 2019, 07:29:05 am »
I know that 200 fps at 10gpp @28" is the goal and we might have broken it without knowing but how fast can you theoretically make them given all the variables we know, of course i am talking about self bows or all wood bows. I know that speed shouldn't be our main objective when making traditional bows but i think its in our nature as bowyers to get better in all aspects of making bows. Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: how fast can you really make them
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 07:46:11 am »
My thought is that 10gpp is arbitrary and doesn't apply to either warbows shooting heavy arrows or out and out flight bows.
In either of the above cases I think 200 fps is pretty much a minimum requirement.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:57:14 am »
10gpp is a recommendation for a hunting bow. That's only one area of archery world. I think folks used to say add 100 to your draw weight as an average, ie. 150fps for a 50# selfbow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 09:26:17 am »
 For me so far there is a big difference between backed(Bamboo or Maple) and self bows. The best I've managed with a backed bow is 193FPS@10gpp. The best I've gotten with a selfbow is in the high 170's. I'd be interested in what others have gotten with selfbows. I don't think they should be compared to one another.

The 10gpp is arbitrary but it does eliminate a variable when comparing bows. In the end though, the ultimate quest is cast and that requires both a bow and an arrow.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 10:16:59 am »
High 170 self bow,,,I thought it shot 180...but I think I overdrew )P(

Offline sleek

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 10:20:57 am »
I have been in the mid 180 a lot, more commonly in the mid-upper 170s. I have seen plenty hit 190s, none of my own. I have one that may hit 190s, as it did hit 200 with a 350g arrow from a 40# bow.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Nasr

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:56:30 am »
These numbers are very impressive. In your opinion do these bows have durability or do they not last as long.

Offline sleek

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 11:35:37 am »
These numbers are very impressive. In your opinion do these bows have durability or do they not last as long.

In my opinion, if a bow is built well enough to obtain that speed, its builder will have the skills needed to ensure its durability and is more likely to last longer than a poorly built slow bow. That doesnt mean that set wont take place over thousands of shots and the bow wont slow down, but as for breakage, I believe that's unlikely.

bownarra

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 12:14:34 pm »
Osage recurve - 185fps @ 10gpp Elm deflexed recurve 185fps are my best selfbows. 65# Turkish hornbow - 190fps but it shines with the lighter arrows.
Flight bows are a different animal but 'warbows' won't shoot a 10gpp arrow over 200fps, it is just a heavier bow if all things are scaled they are no different to a 50#er
Sleek i'd love to see all these 190 bows ;) Are these selfbows you are talking about?

Offline sleek

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2019, 12:38:01 pm »
I only have one that may fit that bill, it's a deflex reflex design,  the other bows are posted by other people on here, DC comes to mind. aim will look for the link to my bow.

Offline DLH

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2019, 12:41:34 pm »
I can make one bow a year working in 30 min intervals ;D

Offline sleek

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2019, 12:42:11 pm »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,53940.0.html

My memory was faulty on the bow weight, it was in the 50# range, so, yeah it's in the 170s range at 10gpp per badgers calculations.  Still, I love this bow, still shoot it on occasion.  But, having taken my first deer with it, I want to retire it and hang it on my wall.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2019, 12:48:23 pm »
DLH,  I'm in that category!

Sleek,   Congratulations, there might still be a deer or 2 in that bow!  Hope that Florida contract runs full term for you!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline sleek

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2019, 12:57:14 pm »
DLH,  I'm in that category!

Sleek,   Congratulations, there might still be a deer or 2 in that bow!  Hope that Florida contract runs full term for you!
Hawkdancer

We will see yet Hawk! I'd like to get one more out of it on my own land, but we shall see. As for that Florida contract, they are pissing me off. They have one email to send me with information I need before I leave, I need it by end of business today, or I will not leave, to arrive on Monday like they want me to. Meanwhile, I got a potential job to bid o  in Wichita for 38 bucks an hour plus a 110 bonus per week, and I'm thinking about bidding on it and letting florida kick rocks for stringing me along for a week with no communication.

Offline bassman

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2019, 01:02:36 pm »
Like Pat said. 100 plus poundage ,but my bows are 25 inch draw. I will never see the 70,s 80, or 90's out of my bows.The numbers above must be from long draw, higher poundage bows.