Author Topic: how fast can you really make them  (Read 6856 times)

Offline sleek

Re: how fast can you really make them
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2019, 01:09:22 pm »
Like Pat said. 100 plus poundage ,but my bows are 25 inch draw. I will never see the 70,s 80, or 90's out of my bows.The numbers above must be from long draw, higher poundage bows.

Poundage doesnt matter with 10gpp rule. However, draw length does make a difference, and that can be scaled to lower draw lengths. I started a thread on that way back when... I will search for it.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2019, 01:14:30 pm »
The 100-plus poundage formula was a faulty formula it just doesn't work it comes out kind of close

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2019, 01:15:05 pm »
I can make one bow a year working in 30 min intervals ;D

Ol' Daniel has been chasing a locust ring since March this year. You better hustle pal, its mid August already and you have a lot of catching up to do :)

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bassman

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2019, 04:22:42 pm »
I just shot a 340 gr, 600 spine arrow out of 52 inch long 50 lb. at 25 inch draw bamboo lam bow ,and got 166 fps. With a 52 lb.sinew backed Black Locust same draw ,same arrow, same length bow at 170 fps. Now I have a much better idea of what it takes to post the numbers you guys are posting with 50 lb .self bows. Very impressive to say the least.

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2019, 06:13:35 pm »
My 193fps is a 43# bow @ 28". It's a Boo backed yew bow though.

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2019, 06:44:06 pm »
I just tested a half dozen of my self bows and they are all in the mid 170. best of 177.

Offline sleek

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 06:55:38 pm »
I just tested a half dozen of my self bows and they are all in the mid 170. best of 177.

Not bad for a solid average of your bows. If I'm in the 170s, I'm a happy guy, 180s I'm really happy, I dont guess I have hit 190s yet, but that will probably get me a bit jumpy with excitement.

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 07:23:47 pm »
I've got two RD self bows that have the same side profile as my backed RDs. The backed ones are consistently 10fps faster. I want to try sawing the back off a stave and then gluing it back on with some reflex glued in. See what happens.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 09:29:09 pm »
dont you think you could get 170 with a 25 inch draw if the bow was designed for that,,???

Offline sleek

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 09:31:45 pm »
dont you think you could get 170 with a 25 inch draw if the bow was designed for that,,???

Yes, yes I do.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 11:13:28 pm »
So the backed bows that are getting faster speeds is that due to the glued in reflex or is it because they can be lighter made  in term of physical weight.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2019, 12:12:57 am »
Guess I better learn how to use my chrono!  All my bows are 45-50# and I draw  26" pretty consistently. I have no idea how fast they shoot, though.  Bow makng speed seems to be one a year or a bit slower!  There are several staves lurking in the garage, though!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

bownarra

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2019, 01:03:38 am »

No :)

Lam bows are potentially faster due to being able to pick woods with particular properties and a glued in profile is better than a heat induced one.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2019, 03:08:00 am »
For me so far there is a big difference between backed(Bamboo or Maple) and self bows. The best I've managed with a backed bow is 193FPS@10gpp. The best I've gotten with a selfbow is in the high 170's. I'd be interested in what others have gotten with selfbows. I don't think they should be compared to one another.

The 10gpp is arbitrary but it does eliminate a variable when comparing bows. In the end though, the ultimate quest is cast and that requires both a bow and an arrow.
My furthest shot with any bow is with my self Osage flight bow 341 yards, I haven't shot it through the chrono, but it must be over 210fps but that is with a V light flight arrow, which is one reason why I haven't shot it through the chrono (trying to stop the arrow without breakage or loss)
The fine ringed Osage was kindly given to me by Clint the Osage Outlaw when I was over the pond  :)
Dunno how it would do at 10gpp, 'cos I daren't weigh it on the tiller... prob about 80# at 27" with a load of early draw weight :)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline DC

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2019, 10:31:04 am »
a glued in profile is better than a heat induced one.
I agree but that almost sounds like the heat inducing damages/changes the wood in some way. What do you think?

If you could find a stave with a natural RD shape(good luck) do you think it would be as good as glued in profile? Ignoring the two different woods part. :D