Author Topic: would like some tips  (Read 7343 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
would like some tips
« on: August 18, 2019, 03:10:12 pm »
so im planning on going deer hunting with the HHB bow I made at the Marshalls event. I have never gone bow hunting so i got some questions
1) how do you get close (deer stand, how to stalk, how to know where to go, how to know where to be)
2) what arrow weight plus a 125grain tip, my bow is 45# at 26
3) how to draw the bow without them seeing it
4) where to aim
5) how sharp should it be. (i dont have the best sharpening stone so how to do it with a file)
6) what angle to sharpen at

Thanks- Deerhunter
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: would like some tips
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 03:45:05 pm »
A lot will depend on where you hunt. Will it be woods or near agricultural fields? Look for trails and hunt from the down wind side. You can use a climbing tree stand, fixed tree stand with steps, commercial ground blind or one made from local natural materials. Watch the deer closely. When it has it's head behind a tree or bush or lowers it's head to eat you can possibly get a shot. Don't shoot unless you are sure of the shot. I think you should limit your shots to begin with to about 15 yards. If you can see the deer's eyes he can see you. If he smell you, it's over! A deer can look right at you and not see you unless you move so be still and never look into their eyes. Concentrate where the arrow will go into his chest and not at the deer. You'll probably want at least 10  grains per pound of draw weight for your hunting arrows so 450gr or more with the 125gr head.
You will want to put the arrow into the heart/lung area. If you hit either the heart or lungs the deer will die in seconds but it can run 100 yards or more before expiring. Either a perpendicular shot through the lungs or a quartering away(probably the best) shot aim towards the off side shoulder. That will usually put it in the boiler room. 
 You will want your points to be very sharp, at least shaving sharp.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 04:20:38 pm »
I dont know, Nebraska is a very agricultural place so most of the land is corn and soybean. but i dont know alot of private property land. i have a friend who has land but their dad has doubts about traditional bows. he has a great deer stand that has alot of activity so i think ill ask. Probably a mix of both
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:33:59 pm by Deerhunter21 »

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 05:02:56 pm »
now that i think about it it will always be near agricultural.

Offline jimmi the sammi

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 05:44:34 pm »
Make time to take a bowhunter education class.  There should be some available to you in Nebraska.  Check the Nebraska Game and Fish site.  Should be info there on a class.  Look for the class online if you can't find one to take personally.  Go to your local archery club and find an archery hunter that uses traditional equipment and DOESN'T brag about all of his conquests!  That person should be willing to share hunting info with you.  Do NOT ask them where they hunt.  That will immediately turn them off.  Ask questions and listen, listen, listen.  Check out the Traditional Bowhunters of Nebraska site and their next get together.  Good place to learn about all of  the things you have asked about.  Hope that helps.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 06:46:57 pm »
Thanks guys! the next meet is saturday and its a warmup for deer season so its perfect!

Offline Swamp Thang

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 07:36:11 pm »
My best advice find well worn paths and sit down wind with the intention of not moving have an itch? deal with it, achy? To bad suffer dont move I usually will sit for an hour to 4 without moving a smidge. Last year had deer walk passed me at about 4 to 10 yards away.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 07:40:54 pm »
ok, thats what ill probably do or climb a tree by it. any advise for asking people to hunt on their land or hunting on public land?

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 09:16:30 pm »
Russell alway remember it's not where the arrow hits the deer it's where it goes after that. Where to aim changes with different angles. I always just imagine where the arrow is going to pass through.

Also shooting from elevated stand is different than shooting from the ground. I find I need to bend at my waist and square my upper body to my target. If I don't do this I shoot a foot high. If I do I can shoot like I do from the ground. I'm still working on this trying to make it automatic.

I like a quartering away shoot. It opens up the kill zone and gets the front shoulder out of the way. It also usually gives you a better chance of get a shot off without being seen.

Use as sharp as you can get them points. If you have arrows that fly good from your bow that have glue on points, get glue on broadheads the same weight. It is important to get good arrow flight. You want your arrow to straighten out quick to get good penetration.

Practice and practice. I personally would rather shoot one arrow several times through the day then several arrows once a day. Try shooting from different positions. To your right, straight forward and to your left. Right handed its easier to shoot to the left. Remember what shoots you like best when sitting up you hunting spot.

Hunting from a tree stand has the advantages of easier to see animals coming and getting a shot off without being seen. Disadvantage of not being able to move to a different location as easily. Also angles of shots can get more difficult. I'm still not use to hunting from a tree. I have found a stand I do like better now. I feel more comfortable and it's platform is big enough for me to maneuver around a bit. I do really enjoy watching everything from a tree stand.

Hunting from ground is more portable. You really don't need a blind. You need something to break up your silhouette. I have many times been very close to deer. Five yards even and they were looking all around. Looking right through me like I was totally invisible. Make the slightest move or make eye contact and they are gone. Ryan Gills once wrote that he believes deer notice someone sitting more than standing. I tend to agree with him. Getting close is the easy part, getting a shot off without being seen when your that close is the hard part. Especially on the ground.

It is possible to stalk or still hunt. Some people do it regularly. There's a difference between the two. Stalking you know where a deer is. I've had some luck stalking. Still hunting you know a area where deer are. Either way you need to see the deer before they see you. It's more difficult when you don't know exactly where the deer are.

It's  nice to see lots of deer, but it's much easier to get a good shot off without being seen when you only have one deer to worry about. Honestly I think old does with a couple yearling fawns have a sixth sense. Some of these does are just plain skittish.

Remember hunting is different than shooting at a target. It's normally hours of distractions and seconds of pure adrenaline. How a person handles those seconds makes all the difference. You need everything to just be automatic. You don't want to have to think about anything.

The more you understand the animals your after the better situation you can put yourself in. Try to learn as much as you can about them. I sometimes like to sit somewhere I can see a large area but don't have to worry about being seen. I'm not trying to get a shot, just trying to see where I can sit up for a good shot.

Remember hunting is hunting. Don't expect to get a shot every time you go out. Try to enjoy it. Many of my favorite Hunts I never even drew my bow. If you just want to take a animal and don't enjoy the rest of the hunt, you'll probably become discouraged.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 11:46:45 pm »
The Bowhunter class is very good advise!  As far as getting permission, find the land you ant to hunt and knock on the door!  It helps a lot if you do this ahead of time.  Volunteer some time to the landowner if possible and if you do score, get some meat to them!  If you are a bit shy, suck it up and ask anyway!  Most of Nebraska is private ground, but there are a lot of state wildlife areas open to hunting.  You might try to locate the wildlife agent for the area you want to hunt and pump hum/her for information.  Also depends on whether you want to hunt whitetail or mule deer.  The Trad Bow guys will probably be a big help, and you might even get an invite to hunt.  Keep us posted!  I'd like a few contacts down there, too.  We may be moving in the next few years.  Or just hunting western NE!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2019, 01:32:55 pm »
Before anything else matters you need to become proficient with your bow and figure out what YOUR range is. My guess would be 10-12 yards max. When you can hit a 6" circle with 5 out of 6 shots, that's your range. This is just one reason your buddy's dad questions you hunting on his place. Get proficient and take him out in the yard to prove it. His greatest fear is wounded deer, I don't blame him. Its a crappy, nasty feeling that takes a long time to dissolve when you're the one who let the string go. And whatever you do, don't let yourself talk yourself into taking a shot out of your range. That's the hardest trick to pull off in hunting. Imagine this scenario: You have hunted 8 times for a total of 30 hours and haven't seen a dang thing except turkeys. Then one evening a deer steps into clear view at 26 yards. Fight the urge and let the sun go down, walk home and be thankful you saw a deer.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2019, 03:34:22 pm »
Amen Pearly....Its more about the "hunt" than the kill.  The kill will become easier the more you know the hunt.
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2019, 05:02:52 pm »
Yup agree totally with Pearl.
 Not that it can't still happen, but the more you know your capabilities the better off for everyone. You will feel much better watching that animal walk away unharmed ready to meet up another day than to watch it run away wounded and knowing you caused its suffering. It could even stop you from hunting again. It can happen but if it does, you want to know you did all you could to prevent it from happening.
Bjrogg

A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2019, 05:46:24 pm »
ok before i think about anything else im going to tighten my grouping and figure out my range. then ill worry about broadheads and arrows and places to hunt later. once i set my limits and have a consistant 6" plate ill start planning.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2019, 10:08:43 pm »
Ask your friend's Dad if you can sit in his stand without a weapon so you can get used to becoming part of the surroundings. Watch a morning come in or an evening go to night and see and hear the creatures that become active at those times each day. It will help you to be ready when you do feel comfortable taking your bow in pursuit of game.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC