Author Topic: I think I’m learning back tension  (Read 2825 times)

Offline Mo_coon-catcher

I think I’m learning back tension
« on: August 14, 2019, 01:01:20 pm »
I think I’ve finally figured out drawing with your back muscles and was able to get very consistent 26” draw (must be what my draw is) from bows ranging from 40# up to 75#. I had been going back to arm drawing and having issues with my off shots being way off. And with punching myself in the face. Decided to think of”crush a can between my shoulders and leave my arm relaxed” and it definitely helped a bunch. it took a while to click, that’s the proper muscle activation do pull-ups and rows. I need to get a large target set up to get some blind bail practice in to reinforce this muscle movement without having to think about it so I can kick out the arm drawing habit. It seems like I periodically need to blind bail practice when bad habits creep back in. Or when I realize a fix to a bad habit I’ve had.

It’s always fun learning and improving.

Kyle

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: I think I’m learning back tension
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 01:10:29 pm »
That will be helpful for my students, youth and adult!  I will try to post some pics of the good targets next week.  One youth and one adult are doing quite well, so maybe they have learned that technique.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Little John

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2019, 05:59:32 pm »
Check out Clay Hayes you tube on back tension. It helped me a lot.
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline StickMark

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2019, 09:24:14 pm »
Let's us know how the journey into back tension goes, as I am on the same journey.

Offline Lefty38-55

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 11:47:05 am »
Exercises with an exercise band help tremendously too! Just keep in mind, you’re NOT exercising the band to ‘build’ muscles, but rather using the band - with its resistance - to ‘increase/improve’ or promote muscle memory!