Author Topic: would like some tips  (Read 7342 times)

Offline Hawkdancer

Re: would like some tips
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2019, 11:53:44 pm »
All the above!  The vital area on a whitetail deer is about 10 inches, but you want to be Sure your shot is going in, so 6" or grapefruit size is a good indicator on plain brown paper!  The kill is the culmination of all your efforts and the variables of the hunt coming together!  Sometimes the odds favor the game!  Spend as much time as you can in the field, looking, scouting, and learning the game's habits!  Also try to learn how to track the game.  You may want to set some range markers when you do start hunting.  Keeps you from making a poor shot.  Good luck!  Hopefully, you get a good shot!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 06:18:52 am »
ok before i think about anything else im going to tighten my grouping and figure out my range. then ill worry about broadheads and arrows and places to hunt later. once i set my limits and have a consistant 6" plate ill start planning.

Back in about 1994'ish I bought my first glass long bow because I read a book in which the guy hunted with a recurve. I was hooked. I went right out and blindly bought gear and went hunting not having a clue what I bought or how it worked. I couldn't hit a 20" circle 3 times at 12 yards. I wounded/missed a few deer and thought this whole idea of bowhunting this way was stupid and wasteful and went right back to my PSE compound. Come to find out I was just ignorant and rushed straight into it. There was no internet to lean on, so I learned as I went and every once in a few years Id meet a fella who shot traditional archery. Eventually (2-3 years later) I felt confident with my shot and sold my compound bow. The rest is history. Moral of the story: Don't rush it, ask for help and be honest with yourself. It will pay off in the end and you may just stick with this hobby. Prepare yourself knowing it may be a season or two before you actually get out. You are very young and have MANY decades of hunting ahead of you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 08:12:09 am »
ok before i think about anything else im going to tighten my grouping and figure out my range. then ill worry about broadheads and arrows and places to hunt later. once i set my limits and have a consistant 6" plate ill start planning.

Back in about 1994'ish I bought my first glass long bow because I read a book in which the guy hunted with a recurve. I was hooked. I went right out and blindly bought gear and went hunting not having a clue what I bought or how it worked. I couldn't hit a 20" circle 3 times at 12 yards. I wounded/missed a few deer and thought this whole idea of bowhunting this way was stupid and wasteful and went right back to my PSE compound. Come to find out I was just ignorant and rushed straight into it. There was no internet to lean on, so I learned as I went and every once in a few years Id meet a fella who shot traditional archery. Eventually (2-3 years later) I felt confident with my shot and sold my compound bow. The rest is history. Moral of the story: Don't rush it, ask for help and be honest with yourself. It will pay off in the end and you may just stick with this hobby. Prepare yourself knowing it may be a season or two before you actually get out. You are very young and have MANY decades of hunting ahead of you.

Yeah your right. i should slow down right now. rushing right now would be disrespectful to me, the animal, and the people i hunt with. how should i know when im ready? i still want to go hunt and if i find that i am ready (and i hope i will be) i might try, but it might not be this season.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 08:38:15 am by Deerhunter21 »
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 08:23:02 am »
First thing is getting that bow to feel like part of your arm and become proficient with it. Next, practice sharpening your heads until they mostly shave hair. I had a few poor experiences with heads I thought were sharp enough. The bow I thought had massive power wouldn't poke an arrow 3" into a deer at 10 yards. Its a miserable feeling watching a deer run away with 26" of arrow flopping around. Its a great feeling watching an arrow zip right through a deer chest and know its all yours. KME makes a sharpening system that virtually takes the guess work out of it. Id suggest getting one for now. Eventually you can learn to use a bastard file and stone.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 10:35:28 am »
Russell. I don't know if you have ever hunted before. This is just a suggestion. Hunting is a lot about understanding how animals behave. What and when is a good shot.

Like Pearl said, you need to become proficient with your bow. You need it to be automatic when it's time for that shot. You also need to learn to hunt.

Maybe you could talk your friends dad into letting you hunt with a camera this year. You'll learn a lot and it will give you a pretty good idea of what you need to endure for a hunting season. Believe me. It's not all constant excitement.

You might get some awesome pictures to share with us to
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline DC

« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 10:42:27 am »
I'm not a hunter but I've often noticed that when I go out to the backyard to shoot that it takes a couple or three shots to settle in. That wouldn't work for hunting. Maybe practice taking one arrow out to your range. When that first arrow plunks into the 5" circle every time you'll be ready. Maybe take a book out to the range and sit in a really awkward position for an hour and then take your one shot ;D ;D

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 10:55:41 am »
I'm not a hunter but I've often noticed that when I go out to the backyard to shoot that it takes a couple or three shots to settle in. That wouldn't work for hunting. Maybe practice taking one arrow out to your range. When that first arrow plunks into the 5" circle every time you'll be ready. Maybe take a book out to the range and sit in a really awkward position for an hour and then take your one shot ;D ;D

I also experienced this problem before. I started shooting less arrows. I'm pretty blessed that I can set up my target in my work shop. I try to string my bow and shoot one arrow at least three times a day. That really made my first shot a lot better.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 02:12:24 pm »
Russell. I don't know if you have ever hunted before. This is just a suggestion. Hunting is a lot about understanding how animals behave. What and when is a good shot.

Like Pearl said, you need to become proficient with your bow. You need it to be automatic when it's time for that shot. You also need to learn to hunt.

Maybe you could talk your friends dad into letting you hunt with a camera this year. You'll learn a lot and it will give you a pretty good idea of what you need to endure for a hunting season. Believe me. It's not all constant excitement.

You might get some awesome pictures to share with us to
Bjrogg

Yea i have been hunting before bj. i go turkey hunting every spring and i have to say just sitting there with you and nature is more fun than people give it credit for. i think that is a good idea with the camera. My friends dad used to go deer hunting alot. he always seemed to get more than one. The problem is though is this past two his daughters dont want to go hunting as much so the only time he goes hunting now is when he takes me hunting and when he gets his one deer. but i could always just get permission to go in his blind and sit there. but no matter what i will get some good pics. that i can promise you.

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 03:29:51 pm »
ok i think i know what im going to do. Probably no hunting this year with my bow. going to take some time to prepare with my bow and learn more about the deer and area. Im also going (As Bj suggested) to take pictures and post those instead of cursing pa with all my comments   ;).    im going to get my shooting down as perfect as i can. im still going to go hunting with my freinds dad probably with a rifle like last year. and im going to learn as much as i can in this next year. and most of all I wont rush. thankyou guys for you comments and if you have anymore please still post them as i still need to learn some more!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 09:43:42 am by Deerhunter21 »