Author Topic: testing out my new notcher  (Read 2302 times)

Offline 1442

testing out my new notcher
« on: August 19, 2019, 11:20:23 pm »
This is my newest notcher made from a piece of 1/2" copper tube, smashed flat on the end.
 You can see the big U flakes it was taking. I hurried through these notches just seeing how the 1/2" copper would work and I broke one of the ears off when I let it slip forward as I swung at it. You can see some of the U flakes it was taking out. I've been using 3/4" copper the same way but it doesn't seem to work quite as well as this did.
 I was hitting it with a 1-1/2" round Osage rod about 12" long at a slight angle so the billet contacted the copper on the back side and it would drivr the flakes ahead real nicely. The 3/4" always seemed to drive the flakes too far forward, more long and skinny and would cause the sides of the notch to be really steep. I never got good U flakes with the 3/4" copper.
 Anyways,, this was just a quick test with good results so I wanted to share it. The preform was already broken and glued back together as a practice piece.
 I could have taken more time with the notching but I done wore myself out working on my front truck axle. It was a mess, and I was tired.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: testing out my new notcher
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 06:16:20 am »
Interesting notching tool 1442.
Bjrogg
Ps usually putting the truck back together goes better.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 11:09:58 am »
Look like nice flakes to me!  That axle does look like it needs a bit of tlc!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 11:59:04 pm »
got the truck back together and was putting on the tire when it started pouring rain. Most of it was replaced with new parts, only saved the inner axle, and the hub lock out.