Author Topic: hickory and humidity  (Read 2063 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
hickory and humidity
« on: August 16, 2019, 08:40:34 am »
so i have a hickory stave in my garage drying and im excited to start building with but first, at what humidity is hickory not worth your time anymore. where i live the humididty is always around 70%.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: hickory and humidity
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 08:52:41 am »
Bring it in your house for a month and keep it in the house while you're building it and after it's built. Under a bed is a good out of the way place to keep it, not in your garage unless you have AC in there too.
 Hickory preforms best at about 6% but is OK up to 10% to 11%. It may be a bit sluggish or take some set at that R/H but if you live in a humid area that's what you have to deal with. Many of the Eastern Woodland Natives use hickory as their primary bow wood.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 08:57:48 am »
do you mean while im working on it too? because the garage is my workshop.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 08:59:20 am »
Yes, hickory and humidity do not agree. 6-8% is ideal. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 09:07:43 am »
Work on it in your shop but bring it inside between work sessions. Hickory is very hygroscopic, meaning it takes on and releases moisture to the atmosphere but it takes a while for that to happen. I've sat on stand through rain storms with a hickory bow and it never got limp. When I got out of the woods I wiped it down and stored it in a dry place.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 09:28:40 am »
Hickory gets an undue bad rap. Do as Pat says and also seal it with Minwax Helmsman. It will slow down moisture gains and losses to the point it doesn't matter.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2019, 10:30:26 am »
I always remember,,,Jay Massey used hickory sinew in Alaska,,something. Bout hickory he must have preferred

Offline airkah

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2019, 12:28:45 pm »
I live in Florida where its always humid too. I've made a couple hickory bows, and jept them inside when I wasn't working on them. They turned out alright, took a little more set than I would have liked, but that very well could have been from me and not the humidity. Maybe the performance isn't what it would be at lower hunidity, but it stays a very forgiving wood worth using.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2019, 12:59:30 pm »
Might also keep it in a good case with those neat little dessicant packs that come in a lot of stuff.  Keep a good finish on it as well.  If we get 70% R/H here, it is probably raining! (lol) (-S
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mafort

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 08:02:53 am »
I seal mine with polyurethane every time I finish working on it.

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 03:31:24 pm »
Hickory responds very well to heat treating. I find a good deep (but not necessarily dark) heat temper can largely alleviate the tendency of hickory to absorb moisture.

Offline StickMark

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 08:52:38 pm »
My first year of hunting coues whitetail with a stickbow witnessed many misses.  At the end of the backcountry- monsoon season Arizona hunt, I got sick of missing just under the belly of deer.  So, I shot a lot of stumping  shots in the wilderness.  Lo and behold, shooting low.  When I got back to so-called civilization, I weighed my N.A. d-bow hickory bow.  I entered the wild with with a 45-46 pound draw, and now had a 38 pound bow, or less.  (A)
Poor tillering, yea I was a rank novice pilgrim, and also not understanding hickory built in 7-15% relative humidity and used at 40% and much higher.
I did not heat treat that Texas bought hickory.  I just put some Watco Danish oil on it and called it good.
It was not good.

I never had a season like that again.  My trophy deer was 20 yards from me, and I knew I was only good at 15 or so.  Trophy deer survived to die by lion kill.  My friends still kid me.  It still hurts.

Yeah, hickory absorbs.  Arizona can be silly stupid with humidity swings. Be aware of hickory and humidity.

Offline timmyd

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 11:22:50 pm »
depends on what you want. if you just want a self bow that can shoot, you will be fine. If you want to get max efficiency out of the bow, then the only way you will do that is to build yourself a drying box or something similar to build hickory bows. you can keep them inside but that won't cut it. my house right now is fluctuating between 45-50% humidity with the AC running. my hickory staves will peg at 12% moisture and honestly, that just won't cut it with hickory. It will take lots of set and be sluggish. I keep my hickory bows in my drying box until I get the finish put on them and I don't put the finish on them until my moisture meter is reading 6%. Again, you don't have to do this but be prepared for a less than optimum bow. Hickory has to be dry to be good and you can't do it just by keeping it inside unless you live in a very dry climate.