Author Topic: Am I wasting my time  (Read 1665 times)

Offline Nasr

Am I wasting my time
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:45:01 pm »
 Just stopped by my local lumber yard and found some purple heart it just stopped me dead in my tracks so beautiful. I thought about making a white oak backed purple heart but i am reading that it frets a lot. Am i wasting my time making a bow or should i use it as handles.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Am I wasting my time
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:17:13 pm »
that depends. the grain needs to be basically perfect. mabey two runn offs and two run ins. the sides need to be the same.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline airkah

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 06:26:38 pm »
I can't speak to how it would work in compression, but I wouldn't want to make a bow out of it just because of how hard it is to work with. I use it for a lot of tip overlays, and hate every minute of making them, but I do it because the wood is so beautiful when its fresh. I think tillering be a slow, difficult process scrapping the belly, but if it all holds together the bow would be stunning. And if it blows up, you would sure have a lot of overlays for the future.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:43:48 pm »
I can't speak to how it would work in compression, but I wouldn't want to make a bow out of it just because of how hard it is to work with. I use it for a lot of tip overlays, and hate every minute of making them, but I do it because the wood is so beautiful when its fresh. I think tillering be a slow, difficult process scrapping the belly, but if it all holds together the bow would be stunning. And if it blows up, you would sure have a lot of overlays for the future.

I like that additude
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline sleek

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:59:23 pm »
It's like cedar, its pretty fresh cut, then it turns a brownish color as it gets older.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

bownarra

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 12:38:14 am »
Yes the colour is not permanent, it turns to browny/grey.
It is possible to make a belly from it but there are many better choices.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 01:23:10 am »
It makes a pretty core wood in a tri lam...
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 06:00:20 am »
I like your idea of making a core lam out of it del I am thinking maybe white oak back purple hart core and ipe belly. Probably a power lam out of something else maybe jatoba if I can find some laying around here.