Author Topic: Anyone know what this is?  (Read 6415 times)

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Anyone know what this is?
« on: August 20, 2019, 04:52:00 pm »
Hi guys n gals. I don't get to this section much but I posted this in the campfire section and DC suggested I post it here.
A few days ago someone brought over some what appeared to be old primitive style arrows.
They said this object was in the same bunch when they got the arrows

It approximately 2 1/2' long I need to get some measurements of it. One end has what appears to be a a handle.
The other end has little pins protruding from it and a piece of sting wound around it. The pins seem to be spaced in a very precise pattern. They also seem to protrude precisely to.
I had some guesses and most of the replies seemed to think that it could be for cleaning bore for a rifle. That was my first guess to although not my only and it could be something totally different.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Anyone know what this is?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:14:35 am »
This wouldn’t be an old cleaning rod (for a muzzy)would it?
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:38:15 am »
Ed that's what I was thinking at first to and it's probably what most have been guessing.
I really don't know. That's why I posted it here now, thinking it it was for muzzle loader maybe someone would recognize it.

It doesn't seem to have any staining from gun powder or oil but maybe it was never used and for show only.
It does seem to have a slightly darker area where the pins are like maybe there was more string wound on it at one time.

It could be anything from a toy to a tool.

The more I like look at it the less I seem to know what it is.
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:22:31 am »
It could be someone's crude attempt to make a barrel freshing tool. The string would be to center the shaft in the barrel.

I will ask over at the ALR site, they will know, I will post your pictures if that is OK.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:24:18 am »
I posted it over at the ALR site, a guy wanted to know how long the rod part is.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 06:39:28 pm »
Thanks Eric. I didn't get a chance to measure it but approximately 2 1/2'.
I'm not home now but I will get back to you on that. I was thinking the same about the thread. It is  crude in some ways. Looks like most of it was whittled with a knife. Yet the pegs seem pretty purposely spaced
Bjrogg

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 10:13:19 pm »
So far they say it might be a unfinished lead lap. You would put the string end in the barrel and pour lead in the barrel, the nails would keep the lead from coming off the rod. The lead lap would be withdrawn from the barrel, coated with valve grinding compound and run back and forth in the barrel to smooth up the rifling.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 10:43:01 pm »
Makes sense, especially if the pins match the rifling.  The grinding compound may have been graphite.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 07:34:10 am »
The pins wouldn't come close to the rifling, a proper lap is all lead touching barrel interior.

A rifling cutter would look like this;

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 11:06:12 am »
AHAA!  The pins merely support the lead pour which matches the rifling?  Comes the dawn! ::). I was also trying to think of another old time lapping compound, remembered it about 2:00 am, motor mica, it was!  I put a bit in my brass tumbler now and then.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 12:07:32 pm »
You have it.

This would be the way a poured lead lap looks.