Author Topic: so I took a walk in the park  (Read 2544 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: so I took a walk in the park
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 02:33:24 pm »
I think if you ask, they will let you cut it,,
probably the one in the yard to if you ask,,,wont hurt to try

Online Hamish

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 06:15:19 pm »
Damn Eric, You've got a nice set up there, tractor and trailer. Wow!

Offline DLH

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 08:42:08 pm »
Osage is kinda spotty in my area I have found some on public hunting ground by the river. I’ve been tempted to cut it but haven’t got the nerve yet. Would be my version of government cheese.

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 10:51:25 pm »
Figure out who administers that ground and check out how to get a cutting permit, firewood, POL or products other than lumber.  Scout the hunting potential, too! :-D :G (B) (-_) -C-
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Limbit

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2019, 03:13:00 am »
Just wait for a big storm...

Online Hamish

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2019, 05:42:55 am »
A big storm... Because an osage tree might blow down, or because you won't be able to hear the noise of a chainsaw? :)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2019, 08:24:47 am »
 Government cheese was offered not just for the taking and a tree blown down by a storm still belongs to someone so taking without permission is still stealing and probably trespassing.   )-w(
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline DC

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2019, 11:24:07 am »
Governments sure work in mysterious ways. I had to Google it. :D

Offline DLH

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 11:24:14 am »
It’s on the army Corp of engineers and they hand out wood permits for downed wood only so it’s a no go unless it blows down. Even if it did I wouldn’t go through the permit process it’s a lot easier getting a yes from a private land owner. Would be nice if public land was easier to get wood from I know they do it because someone would try and make a business out of it.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 03:33:26 pm »
I saw a guy that had a lot of trees on his lot.  I brought one of my bows over and and told him what I did, and offered to make him a bow if we could cut a good tree (elm, in this case) from his lot.  Turns out, he loves to hunt, loves archery and woodworking.  He was amazed by my bows, and grabbed his chainsaw. We went out back and cut not one, but three trees down, and he loaded me up with staves.  I made him a bow that he loves, and I made a new friend out of the interaction.  A way better result than sneaking around with a ski mask would have been.

That's how it should be Jeff. And I bet the friendship is the most valuable thing you got from him.
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2019, 07:00:30 am »
As for my tractor; the tree in the picture is the only one I have cut since i bought the tractor. All of the other 300 or so staves I collected were procured the hard way, splitting on site and carrying, dragging or end over ended to my truck to haul away, the truck was never close to the tree I was cutting.

Offline RAU

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2019, 09:18:07 am »
Maybe talk to a park worker or groundskeeper before you go to park office or management. Tell him what you want and why and ask him if anyone would miss that tree and when would be a good time to cut. Then you put a 12 pack in his truck and everyone’s happy. Just a thought