Author Topic: An odd idea  (Read 1866 times)

Offline sleek

An odd idea
« on: August 22, 2019, 07:58:10 pm »
I have some highly figured wood that's either osage or mulberry,  and I am uncertain it can make a self bow due to the figuring. I am going to try however with one piece. I have other pieces that would make good belly laminates with a bamboo backing. Because of how the figuring shows up 1000xs better with a chased ring, vs on a cut belly, I am considering chasing a ring on two pieces, splicing them to make one, then tillering normally out to say, 20 inches. Then I will flip them over, making the chased ring the belly, and the flat part the glue surface for a pre tillered and tapered bamboo backing.  Now, instead of seeing all the rings on the belly of a bow, you will see only the chased ring with all the beautiful tigers eye figuring in it.

Whatchall think?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Nasr

Re: An odd idea
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 08:24:38 pm »
 So are you doing all this for the figuring on the wood? If so sounds good to me.

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:29:37 pm »
Yup, if it werent for how darned pretty it is, I wouldn't bother. But I want the figuring to be seen as  clearly as it can be.

Offline Selfbowman

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 10:45:12 pm »
Interesting . I have had a couple of selfbows end up that way due to thickness and evenness of the rings. They seem to make good bows. Can’t wate to here. Arvin
Well I'll say!!  Osage is king!!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 02:44:17 am »
It's what we do... that attention to detail, time and effort to create something special.
No fun if it was too quick and easy (unless that's the aim of the game for a survival bow)
Hope it works out and I look forward to seeing it.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Hamish

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 05:50:29 am »
Depends on the type of figuring and the intensity. I have had some success with light to moderate tiger grain with tropical hardwoods, on  bamboo backed bows.

If its birds eye you might have trouble with chrysaling .

Offline sleek

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 05:57:58 am »
Depends on the type of figuring and the intensity. I have had some success with light to moderate tiger grain with tropical hardwoods, on  bamboo backed bows.

If its birds eye you might have trouble with chrysaling .

Thanks for the heads up. I will build them long, wide, light, and underdrawn.

bownarra

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 07:54:00 am »
Figure normally shows up best on the quarter sawn face.
Do you have pictures of this wood?

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 08:03:03 am »
No, I dont have any pics at the moment, But will try to take some after work. I didnt know about the quarter sawn thing. How does that change its appearance?

Offline Nasr

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 09:59:18 am »
the white oak boards I buy almost always has figuring in the wood. The white oak however wouldn't look as good as a darker wood with figuring so i just don't bother worrying about it.

Offline DC

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 10:50:46 am »
It sounds like a neat idea. How will you decide on the thicknesses of the belly and back pieces? You can tiller them individually but the draw weight will cube when you glue them together. Like making a boo backed boo bow.

Offline DLH

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2019, 04:54:46 pm »
The figuring from quarter sawing comes from the medullary rays it really shows in oaks and sycamore when quartersawn. Other woods show it as well but its not as pronounced. I wouldn’t worry with quartersawing since it sounds like you have curly figuring.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 08:13:34 pm »
Good point Daniel....
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking