Author Topic: thick gravel  (Read 2360 times)

Offline 1442

thick gravel
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:08:52 am »
This was just a nice piece of gravel.
I had it going good and should have quit hitting it, but I took one more flake and caused a big step in the middle. I tried ever which way to get it off and used up more size than I should have, but the notches wound up getting rid of the step before one of them stalled out.

Offline 1442

Re: thick gravel
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 12:10:48 am »
I didn't take pics of the step but here it is finished

Offline sleek

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 05:49:19 am »
When you say, "Gravel" do you mean landscape rocks that you find around buildings, such as around the drive thru at fast food joints?
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2019, 07:23:29 am »
got this from the flintknapping glossary of terms by JackCrafty

Gravel - Relatively small, rounded, nodules of knappable material that usually occur in river beds.  Most gravel is low-grade material but some can be very high grade and colorful.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 09:21:11 am »
When I first started knapping I made lots of gravel. I think it's definition was slightly different though.  I ended up with small unknappable piece that got spread out in the driveway.lol.

Nice point 1442.

Bjrogg

PS I think that Russell's definition is correct. At least it's how 1442 was referring to it.
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 11:25:51 am »
Yep Sleek, it's landscape gravel. I've got a couple landscape supply places that will let me pick through their pile.
Deerhunter, that seems like a good definition to me. It aint always round over all but it has rounded corners due to tumbling and movement by liquid and or solid frozen water.
Landscape gravel is screened to obtain consistent size pieces that are small enough to pick up with one hand, but unscreened gravel can be pretty big like the size of a basket ball.   
Bjrogg, that's home made gravel on a smaller scale than what mother nature does and lacking millions of years of tumbling, but close enough for me.

Gravel ROCKS!