Author Topic: Osage id. Winter  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Gregoryv

Osage id. Winter
« on: January 07, 2020, 09:17:26 am »
Ok going out driving looking for sage tomorrow.  Any useful info from people who know more than me would be welcome advise.  I just look from my car, but I’m sure there are more in the woods or back country.  What do you guys do?  I have two spots that I know of where it grows, one I have permission to cut, but nothing there is usable.  Too twisted.  One nice tree right by power line that I don’t dare cut.  And advise is very welcome.  Habitat or tricks when driving and looking.  Thank you very much I’m advance.
Greg

Offline Ryan C

Re: Osage id. Winter
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 10:02:17 am »
The branches are almost always curved downwards, not growing straight up. They appear darker than almost any other tree and really stand out for me at a distance.

The best ones grow in the deep woods, away from the main clusters. The best one I ever found was in a Hickory and oak forest where it had to grow straight to reach the sunlight. It was unnaturally perfect, looked like a telephone pole. There wasn’t another one around except down in the creek about a half mile away. I think a bird must have dropped a seed or something.

Once you get used to seeing them there one of the easiest trees to spot from a distance

Offline HH~

Re: Osage id. Winter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 04:20:08 pm »
Likes fencerows. If no snow on ground you will find seed balls on ground. Smaller trees will have thorns on branches.

HH~
MAFA: Makin America Free Again

Long is the road, Hard is the way.

Mother Gue never raised such a foolish child. . . .

Readily will I display the intestinal fortitude required to fight onto the Ranger objective and complete the mission though I be the lone survivor. RLTW