Author Topic: Been a while !  (Read 930 times)

Offline Stick Bender

Been a while !
« on: August 24, 2019, 05:52:13 am »
I havent made a natural bow in a while & was cleaning out the corner of shame & found a old exsperment this hickory bow was the fastest self bow I had ever made but broke down quickly do to over stress so I shelved it & said some day come back later & make a sinew version its going to be 64" ,  13" handle/riser  , 19 " of working limb and 8 " of leavers  Im thinking taking it down to around 35 lb guess sense Im only tillering to 12" prior to sinew and heat treating prior to sinew, Im only sinewing the working limbs the hickory stave has been inside @ 50% RH for 3 yrs so should be good to go !
If you fear failure you will never Try !

Offline Stick Bender

Re: Been a while !
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 05:53:21 am »
Ruffed out !

Offline Nasr

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2019, 07:31:31 am »
 Keep an eye on this topic. May I ask why such a long handle area? I just feel like it would be better to use that for working limb. Or maybe you are doing it so to reduce the working area?

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 08:22:35 am »
Well the concept is a short working limb bow conected with a 13" riser & 8" leavers to keep mass light by only sinewing the working limb ,if I sinew a full length 64" bow the mass would be to heavy using sinew so it alows me to keep the sinew under high stress thru short working limb and reflex for a 31" draw , all speculation on my end only one way to find out  : ::)

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:09 am »
Looks good,,,remember to have fun (-S

Offline Stick Bender

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 09:45:19 am »
I always have fun now Brad that I have more bows then time to shoot them , I can try exsperments for fun  :BB