Author Topic: My first win  (Read 3163 times)

Offline Mesophilic

My first win
« on: August 24, 2019, 09:12:43 pm »
Won my first 1st place in the trad class at an archery tournament today.  It was held at the Jemez Pueblo in New Mexico.   We shot 30 arrows each at 50, 40, and 30 yards. 

I'm embarrassed to say that  I used one of my ferbbberglllllsss backed R/D bows, as the two bows I made that have thus far survived my harsh temp and humidity swings just don't have enough cast at 40 and 50. 

I actually am more excited about the piece off pottery they gave me  than the medal.  And I really hit it off with an elder tribesman, talking about Native American  bows, he invited me to his home some time to show me the bows he made, and gave me a pocket knife.

Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: My first win
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2019, 09:54:28 pm »
Congrats on your win. It should be interesting visiting the elder and sharing bow making with him.   :BB
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 11:17:38 am »
Congratulations on the win and the new friendship!  That is a very nice piece of pottery!  You may learn some interesting bow making techniques!
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 05:19:16 pm »
Thanks,  guys.

I talked to a couple of older tribesmen and they both agreed that bows have to be backed in this part of the country.  Their preference is sinew backing and I got to handle a really nice sinew backed bow made by an Acoma bow maker.  It looked similar  to a less pronounced 5 curve, with thin rigid levers similar to some Ed Scott bows I've seen.
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 07:58:09 pm »
Congratulations dieselchesse.
Great to have another bowyer friend
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 06:06:33 am »
Congrats on the win, looks like some very nice awards. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline RandyN

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 11:37:32 am »
Congrats on the 1st place win. Always fun to shoot the traditional class. Enjoy visiting with the elder tribesman. They have so much history and knowledge to share.
Randy