Author Topic: Precurve bow  (Read 1508 times)

Offline Ricardovanleeuwen

Precurve bow
« on: August 25, 2019, 07:10:28 am »
Hello, as i was thinking about how i could make a recurve bos after i Made atleast one decent longbow i came up with the Idea of bending a branch or sapling wich is still alive and five it the curves you want, maybe go back a few Times when it take set if the bending isnt possible in one go.

If you then release it it might Just go back to its original state but when you wait a year or two the last grow ring in the new form.

Did annyone else already try this and what happened if so?

Offline Santanasaur

Re: Precurve bow
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 07:24:06 am »
Ive seen a lot of furniture made that way. I wonder if it’s worth the trouble over steam bending.Guess i’ll try on some of the plums I started this year. Gonna be a while

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 08:05:10 am »
What is a "while"in your eyes? And how big is it now in diameter?

Offline M2A

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 09:25:29 am »
Never tried to live bend a recurve but have "trained" many trees over the years in a production orchard. What you suggest will work , if you have the patients for it. You need to start small(1st year growth) to get a good bend without causing damage to the live wood. You can bend 180 degrees in 12" no problem on a fast growing sucker. Then you need to hold it in the shape you create while you wait on the tree to gain the size you want, several years.
Some things to consider....I bend central leaders(tops) of trees to slow tree growth, so by doing so you will need to wait longer to harvest your stave. Also, trees like to grow towards the light so if you bend them away most likely they will try and branch out to start a new leader growing towards it intended target(the sun). I think you would end up with a knot on each recurve, one on the back and one on the belly.  You could cover the trunk to protect against light and branch development, that may help.
All in all I think its a great idea however I'd be more inclined to do everything it could to grow the straightest  , knot free tree I could then steam bend my curves in. I think you would still need to even the recurves out in the end anyway. Sure would like to see the results if you try it but think its a lot of effort and time. Anyways that just some stuff to consider.
Mike                 

Offline PaSteve

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 09:34:56 am »
I'm confused. How are you going to bend "both" curves when one is still attached to the tree? Maybe you were planning on joining 2 billets.
"It seems so much more obvious with bows than with other matters, that we are the guardians of the prize we seek." Dean Torges

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 09:38:34 am »
I think some mild bending can be done with green wood but it doesn't seen to hold under the bending and returning that goes on with a bow. It may be a good initial mild bending but I think heat is necessary to set that bend for an active piece of wood. Even though some furniture might be made this way they are static thus being able to hold their shape.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 12:14:47 pm »
@pasteve
 My Idea was tie a band  of rope about 10  or 15 inch away from the truck and tie it to a stake in the ground, then bend the branch up then leave some space till the next rope, tie it to a next standing tree and then tie a rope on the end of the branch and pull it to the tree where it grows on.

To all others, thanks for your toughts i think in gnna search for a Nice one to train haha

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 12:28:10 pm »
Whether still attached to the ground/tree or separated I still think my thoughts apply.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 04:59:16 pm »
I dont think it keeps all of the bende but the point of my
Idea is that it grows some New growth rings in the new stance so it reminds its new shape.

Offline DC

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 05:38:45 pm »
I think you would want to do it for at least 5-10 years depending on the species. Remember that you will only be keeping the rings on one side. That said I've thought of this myself. I thought that actual grown in curves would behave much like glued in curves and I've found that glued in curves hold a lot better than steamed in curves. I might have done it except that 10 years down the road I'll probably be in an old folks home with no shop. Maybe 1000 years ago you could grow for the future but now a days there is a very slim chance that a planted tree will last for 10-20 years. It will be sold, subdivided and burnt over most likely. I am keeping my eyes open for billets with a nice natural curve though.

Offline SLIMBOB

• Deplorable Slim
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2019, 07:39:28 pm »
There are artisans that bend trim and shape growing trees into various items, but it takes decades on some sculptures. I too have bent green wood into reflex tips, but I don’t think it holds any better than heating in the curves.
Liberty, In God We Trust, E Pluribus Unum.  Distinctly American Values.