Author Topic: Birch bark quiver thoughts  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Tracker0721

Birch bark quiver thoughts
« on: February 15, 2020, 01:28:57 pm »
I need a quiver and I’ve got a couple ideas but I’m kinda leaning towards a birch bark quiver. We have paper birch somewhere around here and water birch everywhere which I think is close enough for my purpose correct? Do I need a backing inside the quiver for structural support? Can I cut a hole near the bottom to be like a side quiver, like a safari tuff style, or should I just keep it top draw? And lastly my sister has a lot of sheep’s wool from her Jakobs- trash bags full- and should I use that inside or get a coyote to tan and stuff inside to quiet the rattle. And lastly, what’s a good width dimension for like 8 arrows?
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline chamookman

Re: Birch bark quiver thoughts
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 02:22:00 am »
I made a Birch Bark Back Quiver a long time ago. Used a Leather Punch to make the holes  to do the lacing with Raw Hide. Your Wool will work nicely  to quiet the Arrows. Good Luck - Bob  :OK.
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:16:09 am »
for structural support you can double the birch bark....or make a lacing with birchbark or cherrybark at the egdes...
I have heard about that processing the bark with hot water makes the bark like leather, but I have no experience...
years ago (may be 10 or more)I have seen outstanding birch bark quiver on paleo planet from "hartung", but haven`t found it yet.

examples for quivers:
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php?topic=6258.0

http://www.primitivearcher.com/articles/birchbarkquiver

« Last Edit: October 13, 2021, 05:55:44 pm by AndrewS »

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 11:47:20 am »
maybe it's not the kind of quiver you are looking for but i'd love to make a Schnidejoch replica
https://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,64209.msg902743.html#msg902743

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2021, 06:00:38 pm »
a little bit late, but I have found some pics of  birch bark quivers..

Offline White Falcon

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 06:01:30 pm »
Great ideas.

Offline Muleman

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2021, 10:59:50 am »
we don't have birch around here but have tons of aspen,would that work for work in its place?

Offline Don W

• diy.timetestedtools.net/
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2021, 11:50:56 am »
I've been hunting with this one this season. I love it. I have never made one with bark, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've made a couple from leather, canvas and a Hill style back quiver, but this will be my hunting quiver.

https://www.diy.timetestedtools.net/leather-side-quiver/
Don

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2021, 12:14:33 pm »
I don't know if aspen bark will work but bark that is similar to birch bark, like choke cherry or some other cherries should work fine. Their bark comes off horizontally lending itself for containers without being too thick.
Also, unless you have already harvested the bark you'll probably have to wait til spring to get it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 03:18:57 pm »
I have made quivers out of cherrybark, birchbark and elmbark. Aspen I haven't tried.
Not many types of bark after drying have the properties that they become / remain leathery or somewhat flexible.
Birch or cherry are used by a wide variety of cultures for containers / vessels, because they are very water resistant.  In elm bark, it is the cambium that becomes very leathery - but elm bark is not very water resistant (see Ainu quivers made from elm bark with a cherry bark wrapping).
I haven't tried poplar or aspen, though poplar was traditionally used for large wooden bowls (light wood, easy to work with, and relatively water resistant - but that's for the wood, not the bark).

P.S. I know some guys, who have made some side - and back quivers from poplar bark. They harvested the bark in spring and let it dry around a small tube.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 07:41:46 am by AndrewS »

Offline AndrewS

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 06:32:55 am »

Offline WhistlingBadger

• Future Expert
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2021, 02:17:48 pm »
we don't have birch around here but have tons of aspen,would that work for work in its place?

I'd guess aspen would be a bit brittle.  Cherry could work.  But check around; you might have birch somewhere around.  Here in Wyoming we have a species of birch called black birch or river birch that has great bark for this sort of thing.  It only grows along stream banks, and it is much smaller than paper birch, so you'd have to sew pieces together, but I think it would make a great quiver.
Thomas
Lander, Wyoming
"The trail is the thing, not the end of the trail.
Travel too fast, and you miss all you are traveling for."
~Louis L'Amour

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2021, 06:02:47 am »
you could use spruce bark and spruce roots for the lacing