Author Topic: Deer hide fleshed  (Read 5112 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Deer hide fleshed
« on: August 27, 2019, 07:52:27 am »
Yesterday i started fleshing a hide for a trade. The trade never worked out so i have some plans for this  )P(
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
Re: Deer hide fleshed
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 09:11:30 am »
When you get older like me you won't be able to work on your knees as well. It helps to make a fleshing beam to hang your hide over.

I like seeing people work their hides. I've always enjoyed it even though it's a lot of unglamorous work. Some people might even think it was messy.

What's plan for your hide next Russell?

Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:24:39 am »
I always enjoy working with the hide and parts people dont like to do. I quite literally got to this hide right before it went into the trash.

I have to say that the deer was way cleaner than the racoon i did. the racoon had so much fat and it was like butter, it just melted on me.

My plan with this hide is to make some gloves and moccasins out of it. My littlest brother has really enjoyed watching me make bows, arrows, knap, and even flesh this hide. hes always wanted an arrowhead but i hit a really bad streak, so im going to make him some gloves! maybe a little hat too. im going to brand his name into them and tie some beads to them to make them look kinda Native american. the leftovers will be for little projects. maybe a wallet? i dont know. I plan on getting my brother in to it by helping me. thats the real goal.

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:54:10 am »
One little trick for the really fatty hides like raccoons. Cool them down. I usually put them in freezer for awhile or outside in winter. They always skin easier warm, but if you get the fat good and cold it will handle much better. Scraper will bit into fat good and it won't be that slimy buttery mess.

If your thinking of brain tanning Bow Ed had a really great thread on the entire process. I think it was titled something like "Big guy gets brain tanned" probably not exactly that title.
I sure do miss Ed. He's a very talented, ambitious and interesting guy.
Bjrogg 

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 10:28:12 am »

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 10:36:55 am »
Yes Russell. That thread should be archived somewhere.
Bjrogg

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 11:42:20 am »
Russel,
You'll need a staking post or beam to work the brains in and soften the hide.  Cook the rains outside, preferably when your mom isn't home!  You might even make her a beaded choker with a  piece of the brain tan!  You are learning fast, and expanding your skill set!  Your dad might like a wallet, as well.  We got your hide allocated already!  When you decide to make rawhide, you will need a stretching frame, too.
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 11:48:40 am »
Thanks Hawk! i already have the beam materials.
i think what I got from the thread is i need to make it in to rawhide first? then use the brains to tan it. im hoping to do hair on tan but should i do hair off? it has a good amount of holes as my neighbors wernt planning on tanning it but their small. i should be able to sew them up. if i do hair off should i use lye or scrape the hair off?

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 11:18:26 pm »
If you are going to tan it,  it is easier to keep it moist skin, not rawhide.  Either soaking the hide in a mild lye solution or garden lime will slip the hair in about 4-5 days, then you have to wash the hide. If you scrape it, confining the hair is a bit of a challenge, but a good shop vac will pick that up easy enough.  BJRogg (Brian) had a good thread on here a while back, there are several!  I have only used the lye/lime method. 
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2019, 09:28:59 am »
ugh! I dont know what to do. I want some for hair on, and some for hair off. how would i brain tan a hair on?

Offline bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2019, 12:02:15 pm »
ugh! I dont know what to do. I want some for hair on, and some for hair off. how would i brain tan a hair on?

I've never done it. From what little I think I know. You warm brain slurry and brush it on leather side. You want to keep it off hair. I believe it causes hair to slip. I think you fold it over on itself leather to leather and let it absorb the solution. I'm thinking you probably have to repeat this several times.

Most prefer to remove hair and epidermis layer of skin. If you don't remove epidermal layer solution has more trouble penetrating hide.

Deer hair isn't ideal hair either. But many still like the looks. I'm not sure but probably commercial tan would be better for hair on deer hide.
Bjrogg

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 06:36:13 am »
I have tried hair on deer and other animals, you can get them tanned ok doing as BJ said but it is really tough to get the soft. Also as others have told you, that fleshing job will be a lot easier with a fleshing beam.  :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Deerhunter21

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 06:59:31 am »
I was out de hairing and de membraning and i put like 10-15 little holes that turned to 1" holes. I stopped. I needed to not be in a rush. Not really worth stitching it up. Dont have enough sinew anyway. May just cut it off. 

Ive decided to egg tan it since it will be easier on my mom. She doesnt like the thought of ne using a brain.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2019, 08:31:48 am »
Deerhunter21, I have a big as in dia. 8" pc of plastic pipe that  slides over my fleshing beam for graining and dehairing, a lot less holes on a super smooth surface. Make sure your scraper is dull for fleshing and graining deer hides. Pic of your fleshed hide looked good and clean for doing it without a beam. Also on the holes scrape hard on the neck and hip areas and gently on the armpits and belly areas, Pay attention to where you are at on your hide ;D a lot less sewing. Bob