Author Topic: carving?  (Read 1662 times)

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
carving?
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:32:59 pm »
So, I keep seeing peoples carvings and i really want to try, like its on of those burning desires that was just like bow making and flintknapping, but im a horrible artist. and when I say horrible I mean i can barely draw a straight line. I am the king of stickman!   ;)       

How can i try or what should i work on to get to the point where i can actually see how ill do something? Thanks!
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: carving?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:42:42 pm »
I took a carving class at our local community college. We carved simple pine figures but the instructor showed us how to get started and gave good instructions as we proceeded. You could see if there is a local wood carving club or check out the library for How To books. I'm sure you could find instructions on You Tube.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Hawkdancer

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 11:32:31 pm »
There should be a Woodcraft store in your area, but their classes are expensive.  For real basic instruction, pick up the Boy Scout merit badge book, and get a basic set of carving tools.  I recommend a carving glove as well -  Kevlar is harder to cut than flesh!  Trust me!  Been there, done that!  Remember, Patience, Grasshopper!  Have fun making shavings, they are. Great. Fire  starters! >:D (lol)
Hawkdancer
Life is far too serious to be taken that way!
Jerry

Offline stuckinthemud

• avenue woodcarving
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 07:18:39 am »
All you need is a sharp knife to get going. and medium-hard wood block or branch about an inch in diameter.  I would (and have) argue that a slash proof knife is a REALLY, REALLY, BAD idea as it makes you lazy, then when you carve without wearing it you are in much more serious danger as you have developed a strong hand and bad techniques.  Good carving technique is inherently safe - keep the thumbs of both hands on the work piece at all times and it is very difficult to cut yourself.  The boy-scout manual is an excellent starting point but everything written by Tangerman is a must read.  These articles taught me everything I needed to know.

The Woodcarving Illustrated forum is well worth visiting.

The interweb is full of plans, patterns and pictures you can downoad, resize, cut out and stick onto your timber.  None of my students could draw when they started carving (that's a lie, one student was able to draw) they all used re-sized photocopies of plans from books, friends, and the internet. 

Join a group or class if you can find one, often you can't but that shouldn't stop you having fun.  I started off whittling tricks like ball-in-cage and chains before moving on to spoons, then ducks, and so-on.

Check out my blog if it helps at all

Just go for it

Andrew,
aka stuckinthemud,
avenue.woodcarving

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:34:06 am »
I was a pretty good duck carver years ago, my first looked like I hacked it out with a hatchet, my last before I quit looked like it could pick up and fly away.

Learning art is all about learning the technique for achieving your goal and doing the same thing over and over until you get it right.

I can't draw a straight line but made impressive ducks and shore birds, made more bows than I can remember and produced some really nice flintlock rifles, all from practicing the various techniques until I mastered them.

Offline GlisGlis

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:09:56 am »
start with spoon carving
it's pretty simple and well documented online
you can do it with just a sharp knife and it will give you some basic
if you are planning to use your creations remember that some wood is poisonus  ;D

Offline Stoner

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:42:25 pm »
I started carving decoys. Joined a local carving club back in Michigan, "Tri City Carvers" Here in Oklahoma there is a OKC club and when I was in Arizona there was a club also.  I am sure if you do a search in your area you'll find a club/group. All the people I have met have been very willing to share knowledge.

Just like a selfbow a hand carved decoy can be very rewarding to hunt with.
John