Author Topic: 2019 US Flight Championships is underway!  (Read 14920 times)

bownarra

Re: 2019 US Flight Championships is underway!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 01:39:16 am »
Are there any more details on Ivars shot?

Offline avcase

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2019, 07:21:00 pm »
Are there any more details on Ivars shot?

The bow Ivar used to break Don Brown’s Record with was built like a Turkish flight horn bow except it had a short horn or wood overdraw fixed to it with an arrow rest made from feathers. He used a simple non-mechanical hook type release. The wood flight arrows were beautiful reproductions of Turkish flight arrows with hand-made paper for the vanes.  I am not sure of the weight, but the arrows were about 24-1/2” long and seemed scary thin. He blew up a string on almost every shot, but it didn’t seem to have any affect on the bow at all. I believe his best distances were with expendable under-built linen strings.  We laid out another linen string using the formula of breaking strength=4-times the draw weight of the bow. This one survived being shot, but I don’t think it delivered the best distance.  He had silk strings too, but they didn’t do as well.

Ivar shot this record distance on our third round of the competition and conditions were very good.  Temperature was in the upper-80’s with a gentle 5-6 mph tail wind.

Alan

Offline Tuomo

• Puujousi
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2019, 12:10:54 am »
He used a simple non-mechanical hook type release.

So no thumb ring?! What kind of hook type release it was? Any photos?

Where I could see the results and photos of the competition?

Offline avcase

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 02:46:12 am »
He used a simple non-mechanical hook type release.

So no thumb ring?! What kind of hook type release it was? Any photos?

Where I could see the results and photos of the competition?

Only our Primitive Turkish division requires use of a thumb ring and sipur overdraw. The other primitive categories only regulate the type and way natural materials are used. It doesn’t get into bow design or conformance to a traditional style.  There was pretty good representation at our event among those who frequent this board. I’ll put a link here to a pdf that lists all the results and records here if it is okay to do so. Also, anyone here can send me a message with their email and I can send an invite to a google photo album with many pictures and videos.

Alan

Offline DC

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 03:41:27 pm »
Thanks for the link Alan. It will take me a while to go through them. Couple of questions. On Harry Drakes bow, what is all the sheet metal? And the foot bow shots, I'm assuming that's you, is that a paper testing device out front?

Offline avcase

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 08:59:38 pm »
Thanks for the link Alan. It will take me a while to go through them. Couple of questions. On Harry Drakes bow, what is all the sheet metal? And the foot bow shots, I'm assuming that's you, is that a paper testing device out front?

No, I am not in the footbow pictures or videos since I am operating the camera. That is young Braylon Pawluk. I’m told that I look a few decades older!  Braylon wanted to to give it a try, so I set him up for a round of shots at progressively longer draw lengths.  Unfortunately, we were having some trouble with the release mechanism so he never got fully extended, but he ended up being the first junior to have flung an arrow beyond the 1000 yard line.  So I think I will call him “1K” from now on.

Most of the footbow shooting this year took place at a separate event at the Smith Creek dry lake bed near Austin, Nevada. The ground at Smith Creek is much harder and keeps the arrows from tunneling below the surface.  This is important because it is impossible to measure how far an arrow went if it can’t be found!

Yes, the extension out front is for holding a piece of paper which gives some feedback on how clean the shots are. Otherwise, there is no way to tell if the arrow is coming out straight or sideways. You can’t see anything at release. There’s just a little pop and the arrow disappears.

The Drake bow has a shielded forward handle extension on it. There is also a generous amount of sheet metal for the overdraw. This allows the bow to be drawn back farther than the arrows are long.

Alan

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 10:38:27 am »
Thanks Alan :D