Author Topic: So happy  (Read 5383 times)

Offline Woodely

Re: So happy
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2019, 03:27:42 pm »
Not to rain on your parade but making arrows from board stock is a tremendous amount of work. It's a numbers game you need to make a lot in order to end up with piles of matched shafts. I know that cuz I've done it and I know other people that do it. also if you're cutting them on a table saw a quarter of that board will end up on the floor as dust do the wide kerf. I've bought $30 fir boards and only ended up with a half a dozen shafts spine within my range. Now I've come to realize for 40 bucks to buy a matched dozen set of shafts is cheap.
I buy Hemlock board stock when I'm done that is complete with the plastic tips and metal field points I end up at $5 per arrow,  but that's cheep compared to buying a dozen from an arrow maker  for $140. When you do 3-D shoots and stuff you end up loosing and breaking a few.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Woodely

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2019, 03:32:05 pm »
I finish my shafts at 11/32".   I slice them on the saw at around 14/32"   then I use a jig to hand plane the corners then chuck the shafts in the drill and sand them until I hit 11/32"  at that point you can decide if you want to taper the shafts.   It works for me.  Time consuming though.  I can build 2 sets of limbs in the same time.

At any rate try making them from that stock and good luck.
"Doing bad work is an exercise in futility, but honestly making mistakes is trying your best."

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2019, 04:32:29 pm »
look up how to make a dowel maker. seems like the best way to do a shaft. you just have to get the hole the right size.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2019, 05:22:16 pm »
I tried the homemade dowell maker. I used up a dozen shafts just getting it set up and the finished item was not smooth. I still had to sand them in the drill. A shooting board and a block plane does a great job and they are just about done when you're finished planing. I'd also rather listen to the pleasant sound of a plane rather the the screaming of a router. It takes maybe 5 min to plane one. I think I spent 2 days making the jig. Could have made a hundred arrows. Mind you I find making jigs very satisfying ;D

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2019, 05:30:06 pm »
how do you make a shooting board? also how do you sharpen a block plane, mine has a lot of chips.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline Wally44

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2019, 06:17:19 pm »
I use a strunk arrow plane and cut at 3/8 then I check arrows as I go on my spine tester I can usually make them all end up where I need them

Offline DC

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2019, 06:31:31 pm »
how do you make a shooting board? also how do you sharpen a block plane, mine has a lot of chips.
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvwernxQi8A and google should tell you how to sharpen a block plane.

Offline High-Desert

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2019, 12:06:17 pm »
Using a shooting board does do a cleaner job of making shafts, but does take a lot longer. I now use the veritas dowl maker. The set up is a pain, but once it’s set you can run shafts pretty quick. With it, the wood has to be just right or the shafts are terribly rough. When I buy Sitka, I have to find tight grained with mostly late wood, then the shafts come out perfectly smooth. Most Sitka isn’t like that tho.
When cutting out the square stock, the bandsaw is the way to go, avoid the table saw. A bandsaw blade is 1/4 the width of a table saw blade, even if you use a thin kerf table saw blade there is a lot of waste. 8 cuts with a table saw, and you’ve lost an inch of wood. While a kerf of a bandsaw is roughly .035, you get almost 30 cuts before you burn an inch.
Eric

bownarra

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2019, 03:25:23 pm »
3/8ths -  bigger is a waste of wood.
I made a dowel making jig to work with my router, staff bead cutters are best.
Support either side of the cutter , a sanding section then a burnisher. I cut at 36 for finished 32 inch shafts. They come out perfect. I will say it took until the Mk3 jig to get them perfect everytime. :)

Online TimBo

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2019, 02:30:09 pm »
Definitely 3/8" is plenty.  For either a bandsaw or table saw, do a test cut until you are cutting a finished 3/8", then just keep cutting until the wood is gone - you don't have to calculate the kerf.  I believe Sitka spruce is a lot more consistent with spine than Port Orford cedar, but I haven't used enough of it to say for sure.