Author Topic: Need some help making a coal forge  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Ryan Jacob

Need some help making a coal forge
« on: August 31, 2019, 01:21:25 am »
So I wanted to try something new but still keeping it as primitive as possible. I wanna make a coal burning forge but I’ve got limited space and budget. If you have any methods on how to store a forge out of the elements, that’d be a big help too. Also, how do I get enough air into the coals without using electricity? I’m financially limited to manual methods? Thanks.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
Re: Need some help making a coal forge
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 09:26:45 am »
Look up the mini metal foundary. Put coal/charcoal in it and it will get the metal red hot. And maybe do kaowool instead of plaster of paris and sand. It will save you money in the long run. Thats mu forge.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 10:23:12 am »
If you're just financially limited and not morally limited an old hair dryer works great. Should be able to get one at a thrift shop.

Offline Mesophilic

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 01:26:06 pm »
Do some browsing for ideas, Otzi's people were smelting copper without anything modern.  I'd recommend posting for ideas on a knife makers forum, bladeforums helped me out alot.  A brake drum forge with a hair dryer might be the way to go and both can be slavaged pretty cheap.  There's a guy on youtube that goes by the handle Primitive Technology who's made many a kiln, including manual powered and natural air flows, from completely natural resources, and could be adapted to your needs (ETA turn on the subtitles, he doesn't speak, but narrates through subtitles). 
Trying is the first step to failure
-Homer Simpson-

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2019, 04:27:50 pm »
Mine's made from a brake drum & used a blower motor from a old oil furnace.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2019, 06:00:34 pm »
I use an old Webber bbq with some fire brick in it, and an air mattress pump. You can make some bellows for primitive. 
Heck, the first knife, I hardened “saw blade, stock removal”.  I blew air through a pipe, to heat it in charcoal. Good luck! Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Sidmand

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2019, 11:00:23 am »
mine is charcoal, but I have zero doubt I could use coal in it.  10 dollar water pan from tractor supply (on sale), lined with cat little, ashes, and some refractory cement on top of that, with a piece of metal pipe in the bottom and a hair dryer sticking in the pipe.  wroks for me, and the totla cost was way less than 50 bucks plus my time.  I can find more pics if you want.

the bucket is galvanized, but even at the highest temps the outside of that guy only gets warm to the touch.  there is about 3 inches of refractory in there to keep the heat from the outside of that thing.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 09:27:38 pm »
Without electricity? You could always use a billow.

Coal forges are more difficult to get even and consistent heat. Be prepared to get frustrated
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline TacticalFate

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2019, 09:03:18 am »
Here was my original setup with a single-action bucket bellows- Cost me exactly $0, everything was scavenged (got the clay for the lining from a nearby park), and no electricity needed. However I found running coal needed a whole lot more airflow than running charcoal, so I usually ran it mixed to save my energy for hammering. all seals are old bike inner tubes.

The top of the bag had two straight pieces of wood so I could pull up to fill the bag with air, close the top, and push down to force the air through the cardboard valve and into the forge bottom.

The cardboard valve to prevent accidental backflow (there's a flap there)

Actually made this for an appropriate technology class

Offline KHalverson

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 08:15:27 am »
mine is charcoal, but I have zero doubt I could use coal in it.  10 dollar water pan from tractor supply (on sale), lined with cat little, ashes, and some refractory cement on top of that, with a piece of metal pipe in the bottom and a hair dryer sticking in the pipe.  wroks for me, and the totla cost was way less than 50 bucks plus my time.  I can find more pics if you want.

the bucket is galvanized, but even at the highest temps the outside of that guy only gets warm to the touch.  there is about 3 inches of refractory in there to keep the heat from the outside of that thing.

my 1st working coal forge was very similar.
I forge welded many wrapped eye tomahawks in it.
once ya figure it out its no so bad.