Author Topic: New ipe bamboo r/d w/pics full draw added  (Read 15230 times)

Offline Jesse

New ipe bamboo r/d w/pics full draw added
« on: April 14, 2008, 09:36:10 pm »
  I hope you dont mind looking at pictures because I am really proud of this bow. Its the best one Ive made so far. Its bamboo backed ipe r/d style 68" ntn 60# @ 27" The handle is hickory, osage and ipe wrapped with cow hide leather. The tips are African black wood. I like this bow a lot. It has a ton of speed and is a joy to shoot. Wish they all came out this good ;D I had great help from you guys to make this bow so thanks a lot I could not have made it without the advice I have gotten here. Rich Saffold must have gotten sick of my questions :D I also got my ipe and bamboo from him. Great stuff. I plan to take a full draw pic when my wife gets home if its not to late. Thanks for looking
Jesse

« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 11:36:15 pm by Jesse-S »
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline DanaM

Re: New ipe bamboo r/d w/pics
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:40:14 pm »
Man that looks great Jesse, you really did one hell of a job on her.
Get your wife to pose with it and that big Muskie of hers and it should be a shoe in for BOM ;)
Guess you won't need to borrow bob now eh :D
Time is getting short for the road trip you should probably send me some directions to yer place eh.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline kayakfisher

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 09:44:36 pm »
That is a sweet looking bow I would vote for it and good pictures picture taken is harder than bow making
                 Dennis
The river of life twist and bends, you never know whats around the next bend till your there

Springfield Mo home of  Kids,Tomato's and Tornado's

Offline adb

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:56:16 pm »
Yes sir, you should be proud of that one. It's a beauty!! Well done.

Offline Jesse

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:00:16 pm »
Thanks Dana Ill see if I can talk her into it :D Ill pm you with directions
Thanks Kayfisher much appreciated. actually most time I take pics they are not good but I got lucky on a few. Photobucket makes them look worse for some reason ???
Thanks adb3112 :)
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline catfishon

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:16:00 pm »
man thats one fine looking bow !!!

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 11:21:06 pm »
Nice. We need a braced picture as well.  ;D
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 11:35:36 pm »
  Absolutely beautifull Jesse. I love the color contrast and the profile looks great. Those are fairly close nodes on the boo was it smaller boo?  Keenan

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:57:58 pm »
Thanks guys I will get a braced pic and full draw
Keenan yes the nodes are fairly close together. I have made one this length with only two nodes on each limb. Easier to tiller with less but I dont think it hurts performance with more. This one has 10 on the bow :o Do you notice a difference with the amount of nodes? I dont know the diameter of the boo before it was cut > When I got it it was about 2" wide and was not yet thinned. I didnt notice a lot of curve in the back. Ill have to ask Rich how big it was :) Here is a pic of it before I thinned and tapered it   
 Jesse
« Last Edit: April 15, 2008, 12:14:13 am by Jesse-S »
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline sailordad

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 12:40:09 am »
   JESSE, that bow is absolutely gorgeous. :o
i am glad that you didnt completely cover that beautiful handle up. ;)

i'll bet it shoots pretty fast and smooth to eh.

keep up the great work man.

tim

i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Keenan

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 01:58:52 am »
 Jesse, It would be intresting to see what you find out. It's fairly flat crowned so I would tend to think it's Moroso or (timber)  bamboo. But I've never seen any with nodes that close. I doubt it would efect preformance but might possibly have more chance of lifting a splinter with more nodes. If a splinter pops on bamboo it's useally at the node. But it looks like you were very carefull sanding so you should be fine.  Keenan

Rich Saffold

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 02:32:19 am »
Jesse,  I'm stoked!  Your bow came looking real good!  I know you had it shooting and it looks like the limbs didn't really take much if any set which means you tillered well. Handle looks very attractive and comfortable, tips looks small , but with enough material left to take a little abuse in hunting situations..

Obviously you didn't have any problem with the slightly thicker bamboo and all them nodes ;).  When you have limb cross sections like this it tends to eliminate much of the node problem and you can use the thicker bamboo to your advantage.

Keenan That bamboo is probably cut from a 10" or larger diameter pole..It's the Giant yellow stuff most folks despise :o ;D Heavy woods like Ipe  can make use of these lighter bamboos in thicker cross sections. This can keep limb mass low and loads up the belly which takes advantage of both materials strengths. Ipe in compression and bamboo in tension with a little gap between the power fibers on the boo and the belly of the Ipe.

I'm glad you asked all those questions Jesse, and the fact that you did paid off.  Ipe is a little different, and when folks see the arrows fly they will know your bow is as well ;)..

Rich

Offline Badger

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 02:39:15 am »
That bow came out great, I know how much Richard enjoys seeing  these ipe bows come out so nice. I would guess he didn't mind all the questions one bit.

Bishop

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 06:13:53 am »
Pretty pretty bow jesse.
Bishop

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008, 07:21:27 am »
Beautiful bow jesse,But I'm with Ryan.Lets see it braced and a money shot. ;) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good