Author Topic: Red Oak, White Oak,and Elm  (Read 4142 times)

Offline bassman

Red Oak, White Oak,and Elm
« on: September 08, 2019, 07:14:07 pm »
My son's neighbor timbered some of these trees, and left the top half of the trees .I don't know when they were cut. I could harvest a bunch of nice staves from what is laying their, and have permission. The leaves are still green. Is it worth the effort, or are these trees toast for bow making? I have read that white wood doesn't take long to go bad with out proper care.

Offline Nasr

Re: Red Oak, White Oak,and Elm
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 07:22:15 pm »
White oak is my main bow wood and I rip some for bow backing as well love the stuff. Red oak is also good I never used elm but I am sure it’s worth it as well.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 07:51:12 pm »
all good woods for bows.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bassman

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 01:11:48 am »
I have used all 3 woods for bows also, but would their be cell break if it lays their for a time to the point were the wood is useless for making bows?

Offline bassman

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 01:24:31 am »
Cell break down.

Offline Nasr

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 04:21:28 am »
Yep I read that wrong sorry. I’ve harvested red oak that has been down for a few days and made a bow out of it. I don’t know about the rest. I would harvest it and try anyways especially since the leaves are still green.

Offline bassman

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 06:01:52 am »
I could have ask the question more clearly. My bad. I am going to cut up some today, and try to make some bows from it this winter.

Online bjrogg

• Cedar Pond
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:47 am »
I'd probably try to ask when they were cut and how long they've been laying on the ground. I've cut logs for firewood in the winter. Cut them in five foot lengths and piled them. When I went to cut and split them the next fall they had new twig limbs and leave growing from them. Are the leaves on them from before or after they were cut?
Bjrogg
A hot cup of coffee and a beautiful sunrise

Offline bassman

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 07:20:14 am »
Brogg, the green leaves are on them after the cut. I will try to find out when they were cut, today. I don't think it has been much more than a week or two. Some really nice sapling Elm.The white ,and red oak are the full tops  of the trees just laying their un cut with all the green leaves still on them. If  the wood is still good I can make quite a few bow staves from it. It is such a waste if I can't. It hasn't rained for the last couple of weeks if that means any thing. Wished I would have been their the day they were cut.I would have had them cut up , and stored properly as we speak.

Offline maitus

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 08:45:13 am »
Some people leave trees after cuting on the ground until the leaves will be dry. The leaves suck muisture out of  trunk and the staves will dry faster after that.

Offline bassman

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2019, 01:18:47 pm »
Thanks for the info.I gathered some nice sized Elm saplings today.Tomorrow I will get some red ,and white Oak.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2019, 01:33:18 pm »
Their just fine. Cut em up into staves/billets.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bassman

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2019, 05:07:18 pm »
Thanks Pearl. I am going to gather some nice Sassafrass ,also that was knocked over when they laid the big Oaks down, but still in good shape, and try to make a couple of ELB bows. 72 to 74 inches long. Read on here that wood works well for those bows, but never tried to make one.

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 05:56:40 pm »
 I think stuff cut later in the year with the leaves left on has an increased shelf life.   

Quite a few people have mentioned the thought that downing a tree and letting the leaves shrivel pulls a bit of the moisture out.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 06:12:24 pm »
wait? drowning it? wouldnt that just put more water in it?
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.