Author Topic: Red Oak, White Oak,and Elm  (Read 4017 times)

Offline M2A

Re: Red Oak, White Oak,and Elm
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2019, 08:59:02 pm »
With the leaves still green, that stuff should be just fine. I'd look close at any areas the bark got damaged just to make sure no powder post beetles started to enter it in those areas. but I have seen that problem more in the spring. 
Mike

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 10:03:46 am »
Bassman, you mentioned sassafras as well. I think the consensus is its not good bow wood. I thought the same based off the wee bit of experience I had with it. Then I talked with a fella at Marshall that was carrying around a sinew backed static bow about 62-65" long and 70-80#. He has shot it for years. Its a beast and not what most think sassafras is capable off. Just something to consider, I know you like to veer away from the norm and play around.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 10:12:07 am »
wait? drowning it? wouldnt that just put more water in it?

Only if you add an R.

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 10:24:43 am »
oh! haha  (lol)
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bassman

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 01:25:04 pm »
Downing vs drowning. And the winner is downing . Simple reading mistake. We all make them, and nice to see you have a sense of humor DH21. Pearl , Tim baker claims sassafras backed with raw hide backing will make a bow in the 40's in poundage. Some were, but I can't remember were a guy showed one at full draw . It was a long bow made Elb style, and had some good things to say about the wood.I don't think it was backed, and I think it was a higher poundage bow, so I just thought I would take a shot at one in the 45 lb. range  at 72 to 74 inches long since the wood is at my finger tips.

Offline Charlesanive

Red Oak White Oakand Elm
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2019, 06:22:13 am »
White Oak - could you address the specific problems AOB users have mentioned in this post and assure potential new users that similar problems will not happen with them? Could you also offer the AOB users a solution?

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2019, 08:20:33 am »
I don't know what AOB is but I made  a sassafras longbow years ago. I made it wide as per the TBB recommendations.

That's when I went through a phase of trying almost every conceivable bow wood and then some.

I believe sassafras is mentioned in the Witchery of Archery as a bowwood they used.

It smells like root beer.

Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Jakesnyder

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2019, 05:14:42 am »
Does anyone have any examples of native American style red oak bows?

Offline Deerhunter21

• What do you despise? By this are you truly known.
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2019, 06:23:43 am »
Makes me want to go and gather some roots and brew some root beer! Need a way to get rhe alcohol out of it though.  :P maybe ill gather some wild rye and make bread too.
Life before death. Strength before weakness. Journey before destination.

Offline bassman

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2019, 04:10:39 am »
Write red oak paddle bow on utube.. JR sales them.Their are also good examples of Eastern woodland bows for sale  made from Red Oak.